Are we living our dreams?

FarmerD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well if I'm understanding that commercial right, my Enjoli woman should be able to do all that stuff and still come home and give me the "shivering fits". Or did I miss something...... Maybe you girls just aren't spraying on enough

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So.....this is a story of why I can't get anything done in an orderly fashion.
I drank coffee and got dressed and headed out to do my chores, which I was planning on just putting the goat to work on weeds, feeding and watering everything else. That should have only taken 15 minutes. Then I could have come in and kept my girls focused.
What actually happened, was I went out with matches, relocated some empty cement sacks onto some rotten pilings and threw some old wood to burn, put a goat on weed control, drug another piling toward the burning, feed chickens, noticed the rooster harassing a younger rooster, so caught younger one and put into new chicken tractor to keep safe and save me money and while at it, caught scovy drake to put on death row and then caught another rooster to also put in another tractor, rolled another old piling to fire, fed rest of livestock and put water in water fowl's pools, grabbed sacks and began picking up trash in coop, garden and yard, separating according to if its to burn, recycle or actually throw away, drug water container closer to its needed location to begin thinking about using it to catch rain, caught about 7 half grown chickens to put in coop, which I have just released of 3 full-sized males.
Now....I might have forgotten something, but any of you can do that in 15 minutes? I didn't think so. Neither can I. Was more like 3 hours. And I wonder where my days go.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Back when I was in college, the University would put on earth-day activities for the local high school kids. The engineering department set up a bunch of solar/wind and geothermal displays, one of which was a solar hot-dog cooker. A simple cardboard box lined with aluminum foil and covered with glass. The hot-dogs were skewered and then the skewers inserted into the box and punched through the cardboard on each side. The skewer extended outside so the hot-dog could be rotated without removing the glass cover. It was amazing how fast the dogs cooked up.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ladies -- life goes on without them. This being said from one who lost her true soul mate years ago and was spoiled nicely. I couldn't find another like him. Had divorced my first -- we get along better now than then.

I've always been quite independent and I like doing what I want without having to ask others. My tractor provides more useful muscle, no hassle, questions or dirty laundry. Repairs for vehicles, house, etc., I just hire -- do job and leave! Nice.

I do sometimes miss the conversations & opinions of a man. For the most part, that is resolved via those I see at various meetings.....or even forums like this. I like men! But not looking for anything more than platonic.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are too kind, maybe. Send him to social services to get a food card....if he can apply for unemployment, send there too.
It's not being unkind, it's being self-sufficient. He needs to be.
After that, there are food banks, churches, etc. that can and will help before you exhaust your own reserves, which sound to be tight & well utilized already. Frugal is good! Teach him that.

Seems you have hands full with kids and their upkeep. I wish you well & Peace.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like when I get into the killing mode, I stay in it a while. I was late getting up this morning because of the little black monsters that were waking me last night (fear, uncertainty, loneliness, whatever), and DD12 was complaining of pains in her knees so I went out to do chores......super wet, so had to wear boots. I'm running out of grain, and that always makes me extra want to ration and kill. So my heaviest tractor had only 2 roosters in it, so I decided that would be easiest to empty out. I had one bleeding out and went for the other and the tractor is now open, but plan on filling it with my 5 broilers, because there is nothing left in the asparagus bed for them to much on, except what I import for them. So one roo is in the fridge downstairs and the other is waiting for me to pluck. If I can do 2 or 3 a day for a while, I can make broth maybe once a week and use the organ meats with onions and ground beef to make rice dressing mix. But to tell you the truth, I do have just about enough of this game for today. I wouldn't say no to some help uncovering the asparagus bed.
The neighbor is throwing away a child's gym set, with A frame, slide, swings and such. I'm sure some of it is trash, but I am thinking its the A frame I want to cover one of my raised beds. Determined to fence in all the beds and put a canopy over them to I can have the birds clean or keep out, as needed. DS might not like the idea though.
I'm getting a bit of a chill right now.
My idea of getting almost free eggs by firing all those roosters and replacing my grass cutters as hens have not paid me off yet. The 3 hens in the lone rooster tractor didn't lay any eggs yet. But it does seem like the coop is noticeably less crowded. I hate the fact that I'm almost out of grain. Totally not ready to go to the river.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry took so long DD, but here is the spiny weed that grows all over my yard and I now have to pull it out from my asparagus bed. The only thing the animals munch on is the leaves. The goat just eats a bit off the top.
IMG_20151229_130215.jpg