Bad News...

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
somewhat OT (sorry, I'm all scattered today):

I'm home most days with the little baby, and I've had a great time passing the hours by taking her to the swingset in the local park, walking into town for an ice cream cone, running around with her in a baby carrier thing...

I just don't know what I'll do when the snow and cold really hits. It seems wrong (and terribly dull) to just stay indoors all the time. Maybe I'll just bundle her up good and walk around anyway? Hmm. Any suggestions?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
ScottyG said:

I'm home most days with the little baby, and I've had a great time passing the hours by taking her to the swingset in the local park, walking into town for an ice cream cone, running around with her in a baby carrier thing...

I just don't know what I'll do when the snow and cold really hits. It seems wrong (and terribly dull) to just stay indoors all the time. Maybe I'll just bundle her up good and walk around anyway? Hmm. Any suggestions?
That's what I did! It is a little milder here in CT but we still have bitter cold winter days but I'd bundle us both up and walk the stroller up and down the street or drive to the mall and window shop. Since I wasn't working all I could afford was window shopping so it was okay!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottyG said:

I'd just bundle the baby up and take her out. Not for hours on end, mind you, but you should definitely go out. You'll go crazy if you stay in all winter (I say this from personal experience)

MorelCabin-I'm not exactly jealous but I was fantasizing about snow just yesterday. Around these parts all's we get in the winter is rain, rain and more rain. Snow is RARE! Pretty pictures :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
ScottyG said:

You can still do most of the things you've been doing in warm weather. Just make sure her little hands and head are well covered and lots of layers. A good dose of coldness is good for little ones for a little while every day.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
What a beautiful picture, MorelCabin!

We got rain with a light snow shower (mostly really heavy rain :D ) yesterday. It did not stick. The sun was out for portions of the day, but the wind was pretty bad. So most of the chickens stayed on the lea side of the barn.

Today is 35F and mostly dreary grey. I don't mind late autumn or winter if I can see the sun occasionally. We lived in Texas for almost 15 years - and I missed the seasonal changes, especially this time of year.

Inside the house the temp is still hovering around 60F. Our chimney needs re-lined and that is just not a financial possibility this year. Normally, we wait until the inside temp hits 50F before we turn the furnace on; so we haven't turned it on yet. I did use the small space heater to warm up the bathroom before my shower last night. ;)

Mentally, I'm not quite ready for autumn to be over!

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottyG said:

Try to get your hands on a pair of snowshoes and some poles. My husband and I started snowshoeing last winter and it's great! We've always cross-country skied which is nice, but I like the snowshoeing better because you're less limited in the types of terrain you can go on, and you're much more steady on your feet, so I'd feel perfectly comfortable carrying a baby on my back if I were snowshoeing. It really helps with the mid-winter claustrophobia!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You just wanna be real careful with babies and cold. They're smaller and their circulatory systems are not as adept as larger peoples', so even well bundled up you can inadvertantly give them frostbite in sometimes a surprisingly short time. I'm not trying to scare you, it's just that my now 4 yr old has to be quite careful now because my dimwit husband didn't pay enough attention when he was 1. He got the first preliminary stages of frostbite on one cheek, and ever since then it is extra vulnerable to cold and turns white on very little provocation :/

I would suggest multiple *short* excursions rather than longer ones; have the baby where you can see all the time, not on your back or in a stroller, and stay out of the wind. Going to stores is good, too - it gets you out of the house but not so much in the freezing cold. And once a baby is old enough to be able to sit up and grab things, a bowl or dishpan of snow can be played iwth on the kitchen floor :)

Have fun,

Pat

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I would suggest multiple *short* excursions rather than longer ones; have the baby where you can see all the time, not on your back or in a stroller,
Pat
Those little front carry pouch things are fantastic, baby stays snug up against your body and you can see them - cover them up etc... you have to be carefull about little feet hanging out - but I love those things - I used mine alot when mine were babies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ScottyG
definitely get outside. Snowsuits keep kids so warm. Get her one of those with the hood etc.

BUT you can also walk the mall. Yup, you sure don't have to buy, but getting out and strolling the mall is a good alternative....you get to move and be social and keep warm!