BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad it worked out ok. I bet you will like your ducks better now. I'll be reading what you think of them over time because I have been considering ducks. The mess scares me but they are so cute.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Have 2 sons 16 months apart. Then any mess a duck makes looks mild by comparison :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I agree....I have a 3 and 5 yr old and I'd much rather clean up after the ducks.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
ksalvagno, I KNOW I will like them better, that mess was awful. But in a few weeks I hope to free range them, so the mess may not be as noticeable.

Wifezilla, I bet so.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Tastes like squirrel....:p

It's good, I especially like to use rabbit meat in stews.

As far as tractoring rabbits you may want to check out Joel Salatin, he has a tractor for rabbits (well, his son does) that has slats on the bottom so they can't dig out.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Tastes like squirrel....:p

It's good, I especially like to use rabbit meat in stews.

As far as tractoring rabbits you may want to check out Joel Salatin, he has a tractor for rabbits (well, his son does) that has slats on the bottom so they can't dig out.
Haha. I will have to check Joel Salatin out.....:)

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rabbit is a denser meat than chicken. It works best if you cook it more like you would cook pork although the taste is not the same. Rabbits are easy to butcher and because you skin them not as much hassle as plucking chickens. Make sure you bleed them very well or you may get an off taste. Cut up is similar to chicken: 2 front legs, 2 back legs, saddle. Used to take rabbit casseroles to church dinners until my son told some other kid it was rabbit and they put up an absolute fit about eating the Easter Bunny!!! Rabbits are a good farmstead meat source. They don't take up alot of room, they can be butchered as needed without a lot of meat to handle at one time and the production time from breeding to eating is sure a lot shorter than most other lovestock.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
Rabbit is a denser meat than chicken. It works best if you cook it more like you would cook pork although the taste is not the same. Rabbits are easy to butcher and because you skin them not as much hassle as plucking chickens. Make sure you bleed them very well or you may get an off taste. Cut up is similar to chicken: 2 front legs, 2 back legs, saddle. Used to take rabbit casseroles to church dinners until my son told some other kid it was rabbit and they put up an absolute fit about eating the Easter Bunny!!! Rabbits are a good farmstead meat source. They don't take up alot of room, they can be butchered as needed without a lot of meat to handle at one time and the production time from breeding to eating is sure a lot shorter than most other lovestock.
Yeah Im wanting to raise some. There is someone in this house who does not want to eat them because they are cute, now how could I persuade them into it?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
All animals are cute, and God gave them to us for nourishment. :) Rabbit honestly tastes like chicken, although as stated before, the meat is denser. They need to be cooked a certain way, but it is not difficult. I plan on having my rabbits tractored in the spring--we will hopefully be building the tractors this winter. I will post pics/describe as we get there.Originally we were planning on modding a dog kennel, but after trying that out for the summer, it proved too difficult to move around. So we are going to go with individual cages with enclosed living quarters. Similar to this:
http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=61278&cat_id=165

Anyways, that is the plan for the winter so far, as well as making jump standards. Well, there are other things on the list too, so I guess we need to prioritize. :)