Bee's Guest House

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Bee I need some advice. The dog killed a hen, its in my journal. Could you help please?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
And to you, Lori! :) Winds are certainly wicked around here right now....all night long and started again this evening. Cut like a knife and takes my breath away!
That's what you call a lazy wind. It's too lazy to go around you, so it goes right thru you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Bee I need some advice. The dog killed a hen, its in my journal. Could you help please?
Barred, I am the last person to ask about that, hon! I usually have an easy time training my dogs and folks are generally impressed with how well behaved my dogs are. Even if I babysit their dogs they usually come away from here having learned how to better behave.

Until I got my Newfie pups.....

All the usual things and methods I used to train my labs were useless on those pups and I was losing ground fast as they were growing in leaps and bounds. I couldn't keep them contained in any fencing and couldn't stop them killing chickens when they got out. The only thing I could have done at that point was to tie them forever....which is no life at all for any animal. Besides, they had learned to chew each other's collars and harnesses off there at the end.

I'd never really had such hard headed dogs before and it was starting to look like I wouldn't be able to keep them contained to my property without keeping them tied up full time. Not my style to contain an animal in that manner.

My solution? Take care of my own problems and not shove them off on someone else. I put both dogs down with country methods. A person could call me cold-hearted all they want but I like to live by a certain code. I don't shirk my duties no matter how repugnant or hurtful....the pups had to go.

What good is any animal that can't live outside a cage or off of a chain? You might get to pet them a couple of times a day, they are bored and their life is very limited. They can't roll on the green grass or fresh snow any time they please, can't run with abandon, can't follow you around as you do your chores.

Really, this is something you have to do on your own. No one can make that decision for you, sad to say. You have to measure quality of life against longevity of life to be really fair to any creature.

Wish I had better advice. :/

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey Bee...just checking in with you to wish you a Happy New Year. May Blessings be around every corner for you and the Bat. :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey Bee! Wishing you a wonderfully Blessed 2011, for you and yours. May the Good Lord provide everything you need, and some of what you desire...and may he keep you and your family healthy through the coming year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks, Tank!!! Same to you! :) And to you, Morel and Justusnak!

I have a feeling this will be one very interesting year! :p

I keep getting the feeling that something big is about to happen....just a feeling.

Nothing much to report here....poor Jake is lonely, so is Spike....and so am I. No Bat and no kids= no laugh, no fun.

This too shall pass, I am aware, so I am waiting....... :caf :pop :fl :pop :caf :rolleyes: :pop :caf :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Sheeples are fine, chickens are pretty and funny to watch, weather is odd....I'm cold this year for the first time in my life! So many others have expressed the same thing...something is up with this cold. Not our normal kind of cold, if that makes any sense. Registers the same on the thermometer but seems to penetrate the clothing, flesh and bones more than ever before.

Hope you all are well and have a blessed and happy year!!! :frow

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Just stopping in to say high and to wish you a Happy New Year!

Looks like I missed somthing ... I'll have to take a minute and catch up.... sorry about the dogs :(

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey, Denise! Happy to you! :) Yeah...Lucy had to be put down due to old age and pain, got some pups so Jake wouldn't be lonely, didn't work out, had to put them down, lessons were learned. That about recaps the whole saga! :/