Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My daughter drinks orange juice when we visit my mom, watered down and only one glass. She drinks milk at meals (usually 2 of 3 meals a day) and the rest of the time drinks water. I am a huge stickler about it! If she wants orange juice at home we buy an orange and squeeze it. Don't do that very often either.

My husband and I drink coffee and water. And I have tea on occasion, more so iced in the summer.

I agree it is a huge expense and a huge dietary concern. Not to mention it's what's keeping the GMO corn fields in business!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Agree! DS2 unfortunately has found a love for orange juice. I keep it on hand for taking my iron supplement and hiding the bitterness in 100% whole wheat bread. I'm stingy with it, but when he says "ornt juice plEEEEEEEAAAAAAAse!" he's so darn cute....

I'm so "over" sippy cups. DS2 played with them to discover every way he could make them leak. Kiddie plastic cups were also a disaster since he dumped out the contents trying to look at the pictures or squeezing the cup. He does great with a clear glass... a.k.a. Wide mouth pint jar. :gig

I don't think milk is unhealthy since I have difficulty getting my nutritional needs met without 3 cups of milk daily. I'd be in bad shape without it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Milk supplies a lot of nutrients - and if you need 'em it's a great, and tasty, way to get it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Milk is fantastic. I don't drink milk, but I love cheese and yogurt. It's just not good for kids to drink it all day long.

Oh btw love that lemon juice idea! So wish we had lemon trees here! Lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Lemon juice in water is a great drink and has loads of benefits. I enjoy a glass of lemon water with dinner some evenings. I got into drinking it when I friend told me about it and found I want it now.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you save the peel as well? I usually dry the peel and grind it up for baking; I've noticed it has a much stronger smell than the commercially available stuff.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, dang....I sure should've been saving it....if nothing else I could zest it and it wouldn't take up much room. This is why this forum is so great! Nothing like exchanging ideas and tips with other like-minded folk! Thanks!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fruit juice is about as bad as soda. Especially commercial stuff that has concentrated apple, pear, or grape juice added to make it much sweeter.

We drink mostly water. Tea, milk, and kombucha are the only other things drunk around here.

Growing up we had water for the most part. Or koolaid with half the sugar added and twice the water. Why yes we were poor. We just did not eat much sugar.

Any apple juice given to a young kid in my family was mostly just enough to flavor some water.

Soda was a super rare treat. So was candies. We got a few candies at Christmas and Valentine's day. Easter candy had to last as long as possible since there wasn't anymore until Halloween.

We might get cookies once or twice a month

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a gal here last summer that was making brisk sales at the Farmers' Market with her kombucha. I noticed one of the local grocery stores is now selling her "brand" now, as well. It could be a nice line of income.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great idea. I'm going to order a started and get some going. I don't know if we will like it or not. Time will tell!