Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm actually enjoying my latest bargain beverage. Ya'll prolly know I enjoy an adult beverage before bedtime. I'm making wine - but it's not ready yet. I'm making milk liquor - but it's not ready yet either. One of my favorite bed-time 'snacks' is amaretto. Found a recipe for home-made amaretto. It's usually about $30 bucks a bottle, but I don't want to pay that much, especially when DH isn't working. Soooo, I found a recipe. It's very simple and has a vodka base. I got two bottles of Amaretto for less than $20. Yay recipe hacks!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just about wish I had an adult beverage right about now...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't jump all over me for this, because I'm not pointing fingers, just making a casual observation. A lot of people get freaked out when they read about germs in restaurants. I suspect a lot of home kitchens are as dirty as some restaurants. You get used to a particular mix of bugs in your water and when you travel, sometimes you get "turista" from drinking the water in the new place. It doesn't necessarily mean the water is dirtier, because the locals are drinking their water with no problems. I liked the last paragraph in that article about lemon slices in restaurants-- sometimes you just gotta trust your immune system.

As far as sugar is concerned...
I've been on a super low-carb diet for a while now. I've lost a lot of weight, and I'm feeling more energetic than I ever did before. Studies have shown that, while the muscles and brain will use sugar and carbs first for energy, things actually run more efficiently (70% more!) when using energy from fatty acids. When I get hungry, it's not the "hands shaking, can't think, gotta eat NOW" kind of hunger that happens because of the peaks and lows of glucose swings. Although I still occasionally find myself saying "gee, a bowl of ice cream would be nice", it's easy to resist. If I get a craving, it's more likely to be for a plate of bacon and eggs than something sweet. This represents a 180 in my life.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I've been off sugar to a large degree for a long period of time and I feel sluggish. Everyone's body is different.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm off most sugar for a month now. I feel so much better. Britesea...I was on your diet a few years ago until I read a lot of negative things about it.