Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking about the high cost of everything but today in particular I was thinking about beverages. I fuss at my daughter when every time she notices her sons sippy cup empty she feels compelled to fill it to the brim. I remind her that recommended daily intake for a toddler is 2 cups. She can easily pour a half gallon (or more) in the span of one day. Much of it spoils or is spilled (he has learned to shake it out of his cup). Babies that drink too much milk can become anemic because it spoils their appetite to solid foods. If she isn't giving him milk than it's juice.

The same for her 5-year old daughter. She is given milk, juice, soda all the time. My children were always given milk and/or juice at mealtimes in a small juice glass (4-ounce or less). Water was the go to drink with coffee in the mornings for adults and a glass or two of iced tea but mostly water.

The cost of milk, juice, soda, Kool-aid type drinks, etc. have more than financial cost to consider. There is a very high incidence of obesity that I'm sure is linked to so many empty calories such as soda and Kool-aid. Even diet drinks are linked to health problems. My granddaughter has a lot of cavities and will need to have a lot of her teeth capped. This is absolutely the result of sugary drinks and snacks.

I bought a Brita water pitcher at a yardsale for $2 and have bought a couple more over the years from Walmart. The filters last for a month or two (depending on how much you drink) and the water has no off taste. Even if you buy filtered water it will be cheaper than other drinks.

I do like my tea (usually unsweetened) or ice water plain or flavored. My flavored water is from adding a few chunks of frozen fruit or a slice of citrus.

When I want a little change to my coffee I just use a sprinkle of cinnamon or vanilla. I don't care for sugar but will occasionally add a little milk.

My daughter rationalizes that milk and juice are health. There is a huge study about dairy and cancer connection but having went on a vegan diet for awhile I can say that it's harder to quit meat than dairy. As far as fruit, actual fruit is best. My sister used to try to convince me fruit rollups was like eating actual fruit. Thirty years later I still don't believe it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I totally agree with you! I think soda is one of the most unhealthy things you can put in your body. I have a huge insulated cup that I bring to work with me every day. It has water in it 95% of the time, but lately I've been adding a little green tea and some lemon juice. Gives it a little more flavor and some anti-oxidants too. I sweeten it with stevia.

We have several lemon trees that we harvest lemons from every fall. When we can't use all the lemons we juice them and feeze it in ice cube trays. After it's frozen we place the cubes in Ziploc bags for the freezer. I plop one of those into a glass of water quite often. It's refreshing and delish! Also, a slice or two of cucumber is great in a glass of ice water.

Most of the time when my grand children are thirsty - they want water. When they eat at a restaurant - they get water. It's actually their preference!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My daughter drinks orange juice when we visit my mom, watered down and only one glass. She drinks milk at meals (usually 2 of 3 meals a day) and the rest of the time drinks water. I am a huge stickler about it! If she wants orange juice at home we buy an orange and squeeze it. Don't do that very often either.

My husband and I drink coffee and water. And I have tea on occasion, more so iced in the summer.

I agree it is a huge expense and a huge dietary concern. Not to mention it's what's keeping the GMO corn fields in business!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Agree! DS2 unfortunately has found a love for orange juice. I keep it on hand for taking my iron supplement and hiding the bitterness in 100% whole wheat bread. I'm stingy with it, but when he says "ornt juice plEEEEEEEAAAAAAAse!" he's so darn cute....

I'm so "over" sippy cups. DS2 played with them to discover every way he could make them leak. Kiddie plastic cups were also a disaster since he dumped out the contents trying to look at the pictures or squeezing the cup. He does great with a clear glass... a.k.a. Wide mouth pint jar. :gig

I don't think milk is unhealthy since I have difficulty getting my nutritional needs met without 3 cups of milk daily. I'd be in bad shape without it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Milk supplies a lot of nutrients - and if you need 'em it's a great, and tasty, way to get it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Milk is fantastic. I don't drink milk, but I love cheese and yogurt. It's just not good for kids to drink it all day long.

Oh btw love that lemon juice idea! So wish we had lemon trees here! Lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Lemon juice in water is a great drink and has loads of benefits. I enjoy a glass of lemon water with dinner some evenings. I got into drinking it when I friend told me about it and found I want it now.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you save the peel as well? I usually dry the peel and grind it up for baking; I've noticed it has a much stronger smell than the commercially available stuff.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, dang....I sure should've been saving it....if nothing else I could zest it and it wouldn't take up much room. This is why this forum is so great! Nothing like exchanging ideas and tips with other like-minded folk! Thanks!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fruit juice is about as bad as soda. Especially commercial stuff that has concentrated apple, pear, or grape juice added to make it much sweeter.

We drink mostly water. Tea, milk, and kombucha are the only other things drunk around here.

Growing up we had water for the most part. Or koolaid with half the sugar added and twice the water. Why yes we were poor. We just did not eat much sugar.

Any apple juice given to a young kid in my family was mostly just enough to flavor some water.

Soda was a super rare treat. So was candies. We got a few candies at Christmas and Valentine's day. Easter candy had to last as long as possible since there wasn't anymore until Halloween.

We might get cookies once or twice a month