Cannabis as medicine for real, anyone?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to sell fiber items, hemp seeds (as a dietary supplement -- I have no idea if they would germinate), and supplements made from hemp.

It never caught on -- no one bought it. A few people asked if it would make them high, and a few asked if it would make a drug test show up positive.

I've had candy-type protein bars made from hemp. Free sample from one of the suppliers. It tasted ok.

I think our products were all imported from Canada.

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love this discussion and look forward to reading through these 14 pages.

I have RA and I am not much for medication. I try to avoid pain pills and the like at all costs. I used to smoke pot recreationally with friends but never really put much thought into it being used instead of pain pills until the RA flareups were crippling.

Smoking when I am in pain is almost immediate relief. Whereas ten minutes before I couldn't move my hands without pain, after ingesting I can forget the pain and do simple chores. It doesn't last forever, usually an hour, but the relief is just absolutely immense.

I've done some research into this and marijuana has anti inflammatory properties. Very interesting for those of us dealing with this unpleasant ailment.

I wish marijuana was not so villified, I wish that people who could really benefit could use this miracle plant.

I have seen many people complaining of ills that I know a little *puffpuff* could fix but they would never try it.

If people do not want to smoke vaporizers are not to outrageously expensive. I was concerned with smoking so much so I bought one. It if course broke within a month. :rolleyes: There are many ways to take it and even ways to take it without feeling high.

Give mother nature a chance :)

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Fortunately there are a lot more states that allow it's use for medicinal purposes now. It's a good tax source too. Glad it helps your pain.

bsrb13

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I realize this is an old topic and I"m a new poster, but I couldn't resist.

I too believe that marijuana should be legalized, at least medically. It's a wonderful drug and can help so many people.

I know it has bad effects. Everything can be harmful if not properly taken, or if you have a bad reaction to it.

I have to be honest, I love smoking pot because it makes me feel good...I do it recreationally from time to time.

Whenever I did have my own stash (far too long ago), I learned that it helped me sleep beautifully...I have sleep issues, and weed made them all go away. I quickly learned that I could not do it every night. I grew pretty stupid, my memory was getting worse, and I had pretty bad anxiety problems, so I stuck to doing it about 3 times a week. Bonus was no tolerance buildup!

You'd think I would've learned about the mental issues from when I was doing it every day, but nope...I think I blamed the memory issues on all the alcohol and pills. Woops. A bad combination that still affects me, 7 years later. Live and learn.

I can't speak for the pain relief personally, as weed makes all of my pain worse (haven't figured out why...feh.) I had a mild headache once, took a puff and thought someone drove a hatchet into my skull...the pain was unbearable. After that, I was basically blacked out for the rest of the day and night the pain was so bad. I couldn't tell you anything that happened that day other than extreme pain. I've had some wicked migraines and this pot induced pain made those migraines feel like furry little kitten nuzzling my head.

I've had mild cramps made worse, back pain feel worse, everything. Other than sleep, I really don't have any medical excuse to use weed. Although, universe forbid, if I ever get cancer, I am getting a stash of weed, no matter of it's legality. I'll at least sleep off the pain of my treatments.

My friend said it leveled out her Bipolarness, and her dad smoked it for a while for his legs. His legs are in terrible shape, and the nerves are dying in them, and the weed allowed him to feel some relief and get some sleep. Of course, that first day was hilarious, from what my friend told me. She had made him some firecrackers (weed that had been baked a touch in the oven and mixed with peanut butter) and she said he was completely loony. She told him to eat one cracker full of the laced peanut butter...he ate like 5, lol.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I know some people demonize weed, and some people glorify it and seem to overlook the bad side of it...I try to be balanced. I love weed, I love what it can do, but I know the bad it can do. Moderation goes a long way, as does researching and realizing that just because it's natural and simple doesn't mean it's something you can do without risk.

I have to say, I have never ever hallucinated on weed, not even a teensy bit, so I don't understand why it's a hallucinogen? I've never met anyone that's hallucinated on it, not even when they are on the really good stuff.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Not a good idea to post illegal activities on a public forum. With that said I'm assuming you live where recreational use is illegal.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Hi bee,

My computer runs so slow I've been avoiding BYC and as a result I've just haven't been on here either. Plus the fun went away and I've been busy elsewhere. I could easily spend all day long on the computer with all my interests so something had to drop.

New house is OK. We've been spending lots of money trying to get it set up the way we want. Just had about 10 trees removed to the tune of $2,000 but we kept the wood and the chips. We'll be getting a 50' X 80' garden plot that we will share with our daughter and we're thinking about putting in some raised bed gardens in the yard. We have a cherry tree to try and transplant and a few more fruit trees to put in.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Projects are fun, aren't they? :D I'm never more happy than I am with a fresh project in the hopper! I hope you post pics of the raised beds and gardens and such....we sure could use an infusion of fun and SS stuff here. It's slow and tough sloggin'. :/