Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Safe and slow doing the chores, praying for your family and farm to make it through. 🥰
TY. My family will be fine - we have many options. This storm hit low income areas, we're worried about people in mobile homes. I am considering rejoining Facebook to join a community group. I'm sure there are many who need help but I don't have a way to know what I can do.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Which group is that if you don't.mind me asking?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a propane stove and water heater,
A tip for those that use their stove's for heat, a large pot filled (like your canner) with water can produce a radiant heat, instead of it going straight up. When the furnace gives trouble in the camper, (usually while in transit) I've noticed it is equally warm as low as it will go under several gallons of water, as med-hi on one burner and med on a 2nd burner.
I've stuck random pieces of pipe in front of those kerosene, diesel, oil heaters and it makes a large difference. I've also walked 20' above and was comfortably warmer than 20' in front of it. Put it in a hooch and the FIRST thing that everybody does is move the pipe out of the way. That's when I just put it back in the truck.
You can stand around that pipe for awhile after the heater shuts off, with out something to hold the radiant heat, it's up and gone as soon as the heat shuts off.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The NWS has issued a freezing spray warning for lake erie, advising maritime vessels to seek port and have ice removal mitigation plans. Don't see those very often. The center of the low is supposed to track over us, meaning high winds.

The fun starts here in about 20 hours

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m back home this morning. Was going to leave sister’s house last night, but she was worried about Kamakazie deer plowing into my little car, so I left before dawn this morning. Said my goodbyes last night.

I’m a BAAAAAD sheep and dog mommy. I had to have COFFEE before going out to feed, bust ice and tote water from the horse water trough. I’m an even worse mommy because I’m on my second cup of coffee.

It was 21F here last night, currently 32F with high of 54F today. Wednesday’s low will be 33F with high of 68F. The freeze will be over! @Mini Horses im with you on this ice, low temperature, fortunately no snow-this time! Higher temperatures are on the way for you!

I’ll turn water back on today and see if I have busted pipes. Hot water pipes froze up. Sink full of dirty dishes, dried food, yuck. All bed sheets need washed, week of granddaughters and son here. Everything is a mess. But it’s good to be back home.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really don’t care. I was actually out of there in about 30 minutes. I’ve NEVER got out of a doctors office when I had an APPOINTMENT!! Wait 30 minutes past appointment in the waiting room. Finally get in an exam room and wait up to an hour. Annoying. I know all of you have experienced that before.

Drive by parking lot non appointment, non exam, call in prescription, gone in 30 minutes works for me! :ya

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In 3 days Reina will be here one month. This morning some time after I fed her, I went to get her with halter and lead rope. Ears up, she came right to me. I took her down the driveway and let her graze. I finally got the last mat out of her mane. She had several of those and this was the biggest one. I pulled 3-6 hairs out at a time. Been working on it a little here and there, today was the day.

09830EDF-21A3-4945-9912-AD52CEAD0912.jpeg

This is Reina Day 1

BEAF5BBC-BA23-4E2E-BB1C-66EA5CD84BB4.jpeg

43AAC35A-BA60-4B1E-8CD3-7E24F1D7A71D.jpeg

032BE3BE-DA47-4819-9B3D-175314402D8E.jpeg

Reina today at 1 month. I’ve just about got her switched over to the Nutrena Performance feed, another week and she will be completely on it. She gets 2 pounds twice a day. Over several weeks I’ll bring her up to 3 pounds twice a day until she is in good condition, healthy and shiny.

27EDF8EE-1F4E-45D7-B34C-C5D75E01A198.jpeg

145C093C-C86E-47A2-84E4-661774F5964E.jpeg

The vet said to bring her up slowly. She didn’t lose that weight all at once, so don’t try to put it back all at once. Good advice. I finally wormed her last week. I noticed she was walking with her tail held up, not high, just up. She had been letting it lay flat. I took that as a sign that she was feeling better, stronger, so I wormed her. I wanted to feed her for awhile before I wormed her.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want to add to the above. The title of this forum is Sufficient Self. There is nothing more self-sufficient than having the knowledge and the skills to give your animals basic care. When I worked with the vet (actually two vets) there was nothing that either of them loved more than teaching an owner how to do basic care.

The more willing the owner was - the more we would teach them. We taught them how to give injections - IM, and SQ and even IV to the ones who wanted to learn. We taught them how to give SQ fluids. You'd be surprised at how many didn't even know how to take a temp. Veterinarians will do their best to take care of almost any situation, but they definitely appreciate someone who will invest their own time and energy into their animals. The more knowledge you have the more likely you are to recognize a situation where professional intervention is necessary.

I'm not knocking anyone who takes care of their animal - whether a veterinarian does it or the owner does. All I'm asking is for decency and respect for those who do differently than you.

Latest posts