Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Her Royal Highness Princess Pixie Poopsalot does not like the tree rats here. I am not concerned for the shrub, it was getting pulled in the Spring

received_727073872851959.jpeg

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m getting hammered with rain. Dumped 5” out of rain gauge at 8:13 AM. It rained some more, cleared off until 4 PM, then the bottom fell out again. I need a boat.

IMG_5808.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

IMG_5822.jpeg

Pond is FINALLY full and overflowing.

IMG_5830.jpeg

The road is flooded in front of my property, flooded around the bend in the road and flooded in several places between my house and the paved road. And it’s STILL raining.

IMG_5817.jpeg

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Seed Swap: It was amazing. Its held the last Sun of January, for the last 10+ years. They keep outgrowing the locations, so now they are at the Hockinson Community Center.

The local food bank where I volunteer, hosts it, along with the Southern WA gardeners group on FaceB. The Food B. director writes all the major seed companies in the fall, asking for donations. The boxes all arrive in January (I saw them at the f.b.). They are all seeds that were to be sold in 2023. The group askes for attendees to donate something to the food b. The director told me that 800 lbs of shelf stable food was donated!!

They spread the seeds out on tables in the community center, sorted by types. All the beans were on two long tables, flowers on three long tables, okra and leafy on two long tables, etc. Interspersed with the donations from Seed companies were baggies, jars, hand made fabric bags, and loose seeds in large jars from locals from '22 and '23 growing seasons. It was jammed! Lots of kids there with their moms. Young couples. Old ppl like me. The Master Gardeners had a table; Waste Management had an exhibit; native plants of SW Washington had a table; and some kids from the middle school had a science project set up.

Outside is an area where one can donate anything you want, garden related. I clipped a bunch of jade plants, pothos, inch plant (prev called Wandering jew) and some variegated spider plants. I simply dumped the bag full of clippings on the cement, under one of the tables. There were sprouted foundation plants, many stick clippings (fruit trees, foundation plants), iris and more types of bulbs, and more and more. I gasped when I saw two baby african violets - I grabbed one. I took two dahlia tubers. My dumped bag of clippings were all gone by the time I came out from the seed bank auditorium!!

I picked up some different things. A lima that I didn't write down the variety, that was gorgeous!! I should post it on Easy Garden to see if anyone can ID it. Don't care for okra, but was tempted. Got a variety of spinach, a pack of portulaca sees, and a few others.

I'll be better prepared for next January, now that I know of this and how it works.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If Romeo is still running with the cows, then it is a good bet they are getting bred back... you may never see them in heat... Are you wanting the next bunch of calves to be born in colder weather? One of the negative sides to running a bull year round... spread out calvings are fine in some scenarios, but means more constant monitoring for any potential problems with calvings etc... for your breed/type of operation, it might not make a difference at all... for commercial operations, you want a uniform group close in age so similar in size etc... But even we do not want late dec to early Feb calves if we can help it... weather is too "iffy".... bad enough March weather can be crazy but at least the sun is often a bit warmer...
Calves are growing good.

Do you still have a beef on feed at the neighbors? Or is he in the freezer? At least this year you can just have one of your own calves done for the freezer... 2 steers and a heifer calf?

One other thing... do not leave the heifer calves in with the cows too long if the bull is in there... heifers can start to cycle as early as 7-8 months, and most will cycle by 12 months. You do not want them getting bred that young... 15-18 months to breed is plenty soon enough, so they calve around 24-30 months... I personally prefer 27-30 months at first calving.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Steer calves are coming along well.

HB on left, PR on the right. I've about got these two tamed. They come to the fence for head scratches and of coruse they have to nasty cow lick my hand. Pic taken Friday Feb 9th
Screenshot_20240209_151508_Gallery.jpg

FM is kind of a loner and standoffish, he won't have anything to do with me or anyone else for that matter. Pic taken today Feb 11th.
Screenshot_20240211_135046_Gallery.jpg

Happy to see green on the pasture again. Going to seed a pasture forage mix in the high traffic areas, here in a little bit. it's a beautiful sunny day out there.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited: