Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning. Rain off and on. Today we’re Rearranging the house to make an office instead of a spare room. My mom’s dog is in renal failure, which sucks. I hate slow deaths, especially when there is a small chance of a bounce back. I almost prefer sudden. Anyways, I should really weed my garden too; but I’ll use the rain as an excuse to wait another day.
So sorry, family pets are hard.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The ancient artifact source of the problem has been removed. I found a NOS or Rebuilt one on line at ag states tractor parts and ordered it. If I can find anyone to rebuild this old one, I'll do that also so I have a good spare. ag states tractor parts might rebuild it for me IDK. Need to get the one I ordered first and check it out before I ask them.

The front bearing is definitely shot, like I suspected.
IMG_20210702_180110691_HDR~2.jpg

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are far enough north that we don’t have live bugs.

Hang on Bay, they are on the way! We started getting a year or so ago. Not many, but it only takes a couple. Awful things!

We got 2.2" of rain today. We really needed it. Still hear thunder in the distance.

I've been doing some canning. I've put up 12 qts of green beans, 32 pints of tomatoes & 14 pints of sweet relish. I'll be picking more green beans tomorrow from my bush beans. It will be the first time picking those.

A friend of ours brought over a tote full of sweet corn. I have it sitting in the kitchen. I need to go put it in the fridge so I can process it tomorrow. Can't decide if I should leave it on the cob or not. What do y'all do with y'alls corn?

@Messybun - sorry to hear about the dog. It's never easy losing a family pet.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@henless I make cream corn. It saves space in the freezer.
I didn’t do much in my garden this year. It rained so much that I just didn’t get much planted. And I was late in what I did plant. I still have stuff I canned last year, so I’m good!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hang on Bay, they are on the way! We started getting a year or so ago. Not many, but it only takes a couple. Awful things!

We got 2.2" of rain today. We really needed it. Still hear thunder in the distance.

I've been doing some canning. I've put up 12 qts of green beans, 32 pints of tomatoes & 14 pints of sweet relish. I'll be picking more green beans tomorrow from my bush beans. It will be the first time picking those.

A friend of ours brought over a tote full of sweet corn. I have it sitting in the kitchen. I need to go put it in the fridge so I can process it tomorrow. Can't decide if I should leave it on the cob or not. What do y'all do with y'alls corn?

@Messybun - sorry to hear about the dog. It's never easy losing a family pet.
Here's the way "I" put up sweet corn, it's the L A Z Y way and it's good eats. Just pull a bag out of the freezer and let it defrost. Then shuck as you normally would the silk comes right off easy under a rinse of cold water. Then steam whole on the cob or cut the kernel off with a knife and cook as you normally would.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well my son worked on the water pump and was able to press out the impeller. I was amazed how the guts of this water pump was put together and now I know why it failed. It's been a long time since I've see brass bearing races. If you notice the shaft it'self is the inner race for the ball bearings. In the second picture the slit in the housing is where you manually add oil. And you can also see, it's been a long time since the bearings in this pump have seen any oil, evidenced by the rust on the shaft in-between the two inner races on the shaft. I would say it's been a very very long time since the bearings seen any oil. I didn't know it's was supposed to be manually oiled or I would have oiled them. But now I know to oil the new pump, that's on order. Another really cool thing is the brass tag with a stamped number. I assume it's a serial number for the pump itself?

All I can say is this pump was built to last and even without any oil the bearings it lasted 59 years. We (made in USA, Wisconsin to be exact) really made some bullet proof stuff back in the early 60's. I have a personal moto "when in doubt, double the stout" but Allis Chalmers must have trippled the stout, back then. 👍

Now speaking in all honestly, if this pump would have been maintained as it should have, there would be absolutely no reason for it to fail. Live and Learn... I will always be learning, probably until death over takes me.

@farmerjan - I know you said you have a Allis Chalmers D series tractor, although I can't recall the number. But check for the oil slit in the base of the housing neck of the water pump and oil the bearings with 90 to 120wt periodically, if you didn't already know like me. Save yourself some grief and downtime.

A piece of ancient engineering on steroids. I mean seriously, who casts iron this thick for a engine water pump? Allis Chalmers in Wisconsin in the 1960's, that's who. Even the backplate is 3/16 inch thick plate steel, which is absolutely crazy.
IMG_20210702_233012647.jpg

Here's where thick oil should have went.
IMG_20210702_233032781~2.jpg

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oatmeal and coffee here this morning.I have the lofty goal of cleaning the porch. Stuff has piled up on it, like a junk depository. Sigh…. I guess better the porch than in the house. Where does all this crap come from? It’s like a cat having kittens. You look around and suddenly the woods are full of feral cats! LOL

Another goal today is to put window tint on the back windows. I know I’m going to hate the stuff, but the afternoon sun bakes the back of the house. The AC unit labors to cool the house, so it will be an improvement.

Y’all have a great day!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We're getting ready for family day here at noon: BBQ here to celebrate G.S. 20th BD, and he's headed off to Air Force boot camp within the next couple weeks. Please pray for him. Also, DD is getting married at end of the month. So, a lot to celebrate.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What? I'm on my second pot
☺️☺️I like to listen to music while I work outside,
This is an old

Might be old but I still listen to both. Neal Young in the Buffalo Springfield Band, before he went solo. And CCR I leaned to play just about every CCR song on the bass guitar, when I was younger. My study of Stew Cook proved he is a highly disciplined bassist, extremely structured and very well grounded. My favorite songs to play along with are Suzie Q, Cross Tie Walker and Have You Ever Seen The Rain. I learned Have You Ever Seen The Rain, when my second oldest son was at Parris Island during Marine boot camp, it fit the mood at the time. My wife doesn't like when I play Cross Tie Walker, she says it's got to much "Twang" I like it because it's got that two step beat that's country, but it's rock n roll underneath. Typical Stew Cook, he never strays far from his roots.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oohrah My son too was in the USMC, 2003-2009 Bronze Star Staff Sgt. Scout Sniper

this was also on our work tune list
Like Crosby Still Nash and sometimes Young also, Suite: Judy Blue Eyes has a very fond memory attached,a life changing fond memory. Although is has nothing to do with the name of the song. But everything to do with the lyrics. I never tried to learn the bass for Suite: Judy Blue Eyes or any Crosby Still and Nash except Ohio which we covered in a garage band, way back when...

My Son joined the USMC right after 9/11 occured and left while in Legal.

Last edited:

Latest posts