Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my little town. Walmart had full shelves of all manner of canning jars, lids, lids/rings, vac sealers, bags, spices.....šŸ˜. Ball lids reg 2.97 & wm 3.48.

Gas at the stations was plentiful at 3.59, reg 87. Too much but there and up 20 cent in 2 days. Just the announcement of higher prices brought cost up! What a bitch. šŸ˜”

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In my little town. Walmart had full shelves of all manner of canning jars, lids, lids/rings, vac sealers, bags, spices.....šŸ˜. Ball lids reg 2.97 & wm 3.48.

Gas at the stations was plentiful at 3.59, reg 87. Too much but there and up 20 cent in 2 days. Just the announcement of higher prices brought cost up! What a bitch. šŸ˜”

well, that is capitalism, when demand goes up so do the prices. maybe after everyone gets all filled up the prices will drop again. we'll see how it goes. it's not like the USoA doesn't have oil.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Exhausted. Why are there still this mountain of boxes? Got flatbed unloaded yesterday and finished unloading cargo trailer. Actually cooked a meal, my canned green beans and frozen cream corn were so good. Got a small pen built for Trip and Carson, weā€™ll work on sheep pens today. Got to get my animals!
Yay, you got actual food!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep, I do add to supplies, watching for any sales, of course. Even if some on hand!

Prices are bad and getting worse. So things I use aren't being empty shelves at MY house. Now I'm not buying to point of leaving none for others. But, I'm buying. Wish I'd see the jars on sale here like that....I'd buy a few cases, not a pallet! šŸ˜. But I've added to my jar count every year for quite a while, save a 5 year hiatus from any canning a while back. Stored jars though. Bought about 4 dz last yr. Yeah, I'd buy 4-6 dz of those sale ones!! Sometimes yard sales are places to get a few.

A few spices that I use frequently will come from plants this year. And I'm adding a garlic patch to my yard!
I need places to store stock up in my house! The nooks and crannies are full, but honestly thereā€™s not that many. I miss grandmaā€™s basement and wish I had one!
Some have thought of my family as strange or excessive, sometimes greedy. we donā€™t buy stores out or anything like that, but we do stock when there are good deals and have tried to for years. itā€™s kind of nice to be around people who donā€™t think youā€™re strange for having canned food in your linen closet lol.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
linen closet, hall closet, under beds, lol--you name it, it has at one point had food on/in it at our house

so far i've kept most of our food storage confined to the kitchen and front closet, but once in a while i'll take some smaller portions and keep them in my own closet because it's a lot easier to get in there instead.