Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I painted yesterday! I still need to touch up corners with texture where a roller couldn’t go, and paint corners. I did the FUN stuff first!

Kitchen, dining and living room is sage green. I’ll trim this winter with 1x6 floor and ceiling, painted bright shiny white enamel with batten strips on walls for that country cottage look.

5B0985C9-436B-4F7C-A9FA-698844720177.jpeg

I painted the hallway, son’s/guest room a cream color. I’ll paint hall bathroom same color.

92304B07-9D83-4112-AEC7-DF68CE814236.jpeg

Little granddaughters love purple. I don’t. But I’m Mamaw and Mamaw does crazy things.

1CCB390B-B82C-4835-A1CA-CB3ABCC6FA0A.jpeg

My room is a light blue. Still got to paint the bathroom.

6074F5FE-8EDF-47CA-B68E-373FA9580C82.jpeg

I’m not worried about trim, got a deadline for getting moved. I can trim this winter. I’ll get all the big messy stuff done.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks amazing @baymule! I hate painting but love color in my house so I paint.

Going to have lows in the 50s for the upcoming week! Open up the windows, struggle through allergies and enjoy the sound of birds ;)

I am off this next Wed thru Sunday, we are winter prepping. Canning and freezing food, 2 chickens to butcher, clean out top floor of barn, trim some trees back, clean out our smokehouse, about 2 pick up loads of wood to cut and stack AND fishing-yep every morning will include fishing.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Trying2keepitReal that's a BIG list! 😳😊. I'm sure most will get done!

This morning it's 59 and low humidity 👍. May get to low 80s. I'm loving it. Opened a couple windows to air out. Been a lot of cooking/canning all week, so freshen it up. More to do but, a lot GOT done. 😁. Nice. I'll get things put away soon....still weekend to use the big pots, etc. I need a break from it for a couple days -- that's coming week.

Just cut grass and it needs it again. Almost 6" of rain does make it grow! I feel badly for all with drought....it's not fair.

Time for Fall garden. I might not have that this year...🤷.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I counted 8 5x6 netted rounds off the front 5 acres. I think that's pretty good, 5 acres to go. I believe I'll have plenty to feed the cattle this winter \o/ brings a big ole smile to my face 😊

Edit: 14 5x6 round altogether, sweet 👍. I suspect the second 5 acres was a little lite from grazing, but none the less, Thank You Almighty.
IMG_20220813_165055931~3.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The hay can be fluffed or tedded...all according to where in the country you are... most here call it tedding....
Netting does not make a tighter round... but it does keep it together better when it is older hay, and it also helps to shed the rain off it. The type baler will determine the tightness of the roll. The "sisal" strings will rot on the ground... the plastic will not. Netting will not rot. BUT.... you HAVE TO REMOVE the plastic strings or the netting BEFORE you set the roll down for them to eat. And in the ice the netting is a royal BI#@H to get off... You do not want the cattle to get the netting around their hooves... and once saw a picture where one small piece got around a cow's tongue....HORRIBLE.... it will cut off the circulation and all of a sudden you have an animal without a foot.... or worse.... they will try to eat it and it will get balled up in their stomachs, rumen and block the intestines...
And if the animals don't have any problem with it... wait until you get it wrapped around the blades of the bush hog, or caught up in something that catches it around the PTO shaft....
We use the net wrap on the 4x5 baler and we use that 95% of the time for custom baling and if a customer wants it...or if we have a breakdown of the big baler and have to get the hay done....
But 99% of the hay we bale for ourselves is the 5x5 and 5x6 rolls and we use only sisal string...the "normal" type baling twine. We do take most of it off the round bales when we put them out but they do not freeze like the plastic and they will break down when we miss some. Mostly we take it off to prevent a calf from deciding to try to eat it or getting caught up around it's feet.... or once found a calf with it around it's neck and front leg...Now how in the world?????
Naturally if you can store them under roof it is better. We cannot. A hay shed is in the plans for maybe next year... We are presently working on a concrete slab and then sides for a bunker silo for the corn silage so we do not have to deal with the bags and the mud surrounding them anymore. Plus the bags are getting alot more expensive and there is no reusing them....they are great if you have nothing else...
If you cannot store them under roof; at least put them in rows with the flat side tight up against each other to preserve the hay on the flat ends... it will keep the rain/snow off and give you more "good hay"...less waste. Do NOT store them with the rounded sides touching...the water will run off the rounded part and if the rounds are touching, it will settle, and the bales will hold the wet that way, and you will get more waste.
Store it where you can get in to get it out easily and do NOT store in a low spot... if you have a graveled area, it will not hold water and will drain better... but a "high spot" in a field will work.
We have stored ours up on old tires to keep it from sitting directly on the ground but it is a pain to get it off and not carry the old tires out to the feeding areas. Some people store it up on pallets,,, but again, a pain to get it off to go feed it... We, and many here will store it against fencelines so it does not kill the grass in the fields.

Hope this helps a little.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The hay can be fluffed or tedded...all according to where in the country you are... most here call it tedding....
Netting does not make a tighter round... but it does keep it together better when it is older hay, and it also helps to shed the rain off it. The type baler will determine the tightness of the roll. The "sisal" strings will rot on the ground... the plastic will not. Netting will not rot. BUT.... you HAVE TO REMOVE the plastic strings or the netting BEFORE you set the roll down for them to eat. And in the ice the netting is a royal BI#@H to get off... You do not want the cattle to get the netting around their hooves... and once saw a picture where one small piece got around a cow's tongue....HORRIBLE.... it will cut off the circulation and all of a sudden you have an animal without a foot.... or worse.... they will try to eat it and it will get balled up in their stomachs, rumen and block the intestines...
And if the animals don't have any problem with it... wait until you get it wrapped around the blades of the bush hog, or caught up in something that catches it around the PTO shaft....
We use the net wrap on the 4x5 baler and we use that 95% of the time for custom baling and if a customer wants it...or if we have a breakdown of the big baler and have to get the hay done....
But 99% of the hay we bale for ourselves is the 5x5 and 5x6 rolls and we use only sisal string...the "normal" type baling twine. We do take most of it off the round bales when we put them out but they do not freeze like the plastic and they will break down when we miss some. Mostly we take it off to prevent a calf from deciding to try to eat it or getting caught up around it's feet.... or once found a calf with it around it's neck and front leg...Now how in the world?????
Naturally if you can store them under roof it is better. We cannot. A hay shed is in the plans for maybe next year... We are presently working on a concrete slab and then sides for a bunker silo for the corn silage so we do not have to deal with the bags and the mud surrounding them anymore. Plus the bags are getting alot more expensive and there is no reusing them....they are great if you have nothing else...
If you cannot store them under roof; at least put them in rows with the flat side tight up against each other to preserve the hay on the flat ends... it will keep the rain/snow off and give you more "good hay"...less waste. Do NOT store them with the rounded sides touching...the water will run off the rounded part and if the rounds are touching, it will settle, and the bales will hold the wet that way, and you will get more waste.
Store it where you can get in to get it out easily and do NOT store in a low spot... if you have a graveled area, it will not hold water and will drain better... but a "high spot" in a field will work.
We have stored ours up on old tires to keep it from sitting directly on the ground but it is a pain to get it off and not carry the old tires out to the feeding areas. Some people store it up on pallets,,, but again, a pain to get it off to go feed it... We, and many here will store it against fencelines so it does not kill the grass in the fields.

Hope this helps a little.

Helps a lot more than a little - Thank You FJ 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cooler weather all week. I'm loving it -- so are the animals. One of my milkers has been letting her doe kid nurse again. 😳. A mother's love! Now, gotta find how said doeling got herself out. Surprised because it's been almost 6 weeks since supposed weaning. 🤔. Oh well! Saw her yesterday morning, empty both sides.

Heavy job work this week, so just some checks for feed supply and outside look overs, clean water troughs,etc. No canning today! I need a slow down day. 😊.