Could my kefir be making me sick...Let's play detective

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Before we had a computer, we went to a friend's house for supper and I had a bad reaction to a peach. I was just starting to figure out my food allergies, and was in the very early stages. This friend worked with computers and was one of our first friends to have a PC in his home. He later did some research for me and printed out a bunch of stuff on "Oral Allergy Syndrome." It was pretty amazing. I have several of the documented combinations....certain pollens connected with certain foods, often ones that are in season together, like melons and ragweed.

I did not have these problems as a child.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
And this is what I don't like about Drs. There are just so many hidden reasons that people get sick! There is no way a medical Dr can know all of the more subtle stuff. I guess that is why people go to alternative Drs who are willing to look outside the box.

Dh was getting frustrated with me for not feeling good but not taking anything to fix it. I kept telling him that rolaids are not a solution and I need to figure out WHAT is making me sick, not just band aid it up.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
MD's are schooled to treat symptoms. It is not really their fault, it is today's system. I read How Doctors Think by....um....can't remember, but a Harvard doc. The first chapter is a case history that I recognized as celiac's within the first few paragraphs, but this poor woman went to doctor after doctor after doctor for YEARS, even was referred to psychiatrists! Even told to eat lots of pasta to gain weight!!! (Wow, there was a doctor who recognized that grain makes you gain weight? Just realized that....) It was a very interesting book, and shows how doctors are trained NOT to think. By a trainer of doctors at a major med school.

So I am not bashing doctors.... ;)

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace, be sure and consider the coffee thing along with your cycle. Possibly TMI, but anything acidic and anything caffeinated are out of bounds right before that time of month. Huge nausea, stomach pains, etc. A consideration! Even not at that time, I've had periods where coffee kills me. I think it's because my family all has a tendency toward stomach ulcers. I try and tread lightly as a result.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I get it on the Drs, and I agree it is just their training.... But as a patient it is highly annoying to know that I will not likely get a correct diagnosis. Most things can really be corrected
naturally.

ToLive.... Wow, I never knew that and I have been a
coffee drinker for years. The acidy belly is familiar and usually went away when I ate.... This one seems
to linger for several hours.

And it is definitley the coffee. 3/4 of a
cup and I can feel the acid rising. Bummer, guess it's time to
try tea.... But I would much rather the problem be coffee thant beloved kefir!!

Thanks to everyone who helped
me to figure out this little mystery!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey Dace, you said whole bean? As in you grind it yourself or at the store?

I started to buy it whole bean when I first moved here and began to hand grind it by the pot here at home. I noticed when I hand ground it, it was WAY stronger for some reason...maybe I was whirling it too long and made it too fine for coffee and inadvertently turned it into espresso? (Coffee gurus please forgive my ignorance. :hide )

Perhaps that is the correlation?

Anyway, I hope you feel better.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yep whole bean....and that is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe buying whole bean, being less processed it contains more phytic acid :idunno

So I bought my usual preground stuff...drank some this morning but paid close attention to my body. It did not take long for that acidy feeling to come back so I stopped after 3/4 of a cup.

Perhaps like ToLive said, it has something to do with my cycle? Who knows, but I am having tea tomorrow! I am tried of feeling sick!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
Yep whole bean....and that is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe buying whole bean, being less processed it contains more phytic acid :idunno

So I bought my usual preground stuff...drank some this morning but paid close attention to my body. It did not take long for that acidy feeling to come back so I stopped after 3/4 of a cup.

Perhaps like ToLive said, it has something to do with my cycle? Who knows, but I am having tea tomorrow! I am tried of feeling sick!
THe only coffee that is going to contain slightly less phytic acid, is decaf.

One thing we want to play around with, is buying some raw green beans, and soaking them with water and whey, just like we do all our other beans.
This should take care of the caffine, but also will lower the phytic acid.
We will then dry and roast them.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That thought of soaking beans did pop into my head. I do a lot form scratch and I think we all have to pick our battles. I don't have time to take on coffee! I'd rather switch to tea :p

But I will be curious to see how your experiment goes!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace, I've been drinking Morning Thunder tea (no laughing at the name) since I stopped drinking coffee, and I love it.
It's got a nice caffeine kick, but it doesn't give me the Wobble Barfs, or whatever we're going to call this phenomenon. :D