Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You never know about chickens. I put a dozen RIR chicks under a hen with chicks but they wouldn't stay with her instead they would follow me everywhere. They eventually disappeared without a mama hen.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How old were they? I've had good luck adding chicks to a momma hen that I've either bought, or hatched in the incubator. I don't handle the chicks-other than to take them out to the farm and slip them in w/her. And since they can't count, they've never realized that they've gone from maybe 2 chicks to 7 or so.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a few days at most. SD hatched them for me. I should have put mama and babies in a pen to themselves. Hindsight really is 20/20!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Bummer, Deb. It would be great to meet you. As it is I'm gonna be there for 5 days. I'm not real excited, but the pay check will be helpful.

I know how it feels when you're feeding for everybody! Glad that it's at least part way over.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I need y'all to pray for me. I need to get off the farm. RU is STILL away. She was supposed to be back last week and last I heard, she won't be home until Thursday. She hasn't called me, she talked to CL. If I had known that, I would have tried to get RBs out on Saturday. It rained Sunday, so that makes it very difficult to drive the tractor since the ground just holds the moisture like a sponge.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Thanks. She finally called yesterday to say they were on their way home and would be back late that night. When I got to the farm today, she was home.

The field that PT and PM were in was my old field. When I was in there, the field was beautiful, even though it was small. They left the area a mess! The grass is pretty much gone, and there's manure all over. And they didn't call RU to tell her they were leaving, they sent her a text. I have no idea when they were paid to, but there's no way that RU can get someone else in w/the field that way. Nor do I know if she wants to. So,

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yikes, Deb! I hope you are able to find somewhere close by that will work out for you soon. That is not ok for her to just not call you directly and make sure that you're still able to care for the animals. I would be furious if one of my farm sitting clients did that and they wouldn't be a client again. Is she giving you a reduction in your board rate for helping out?? I hope that she's willing to do something for you. If not, I hope you find a new place to go quickly! Wish you were closer, I'd be happy to help you out!

Latest posts