Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a remedy for sinuses, but you usually have to be very sick to want to do it :lol:

Fix a small bowl of warm water and table salt (I don't measure, just dump some in the palm of my hand). Mix it well and then .... snort the salt water. I recommend you do this with a hankerchief in hand, over a sink or toilet. It burns like a sapsucker... but it sure does help.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I thought about the baking soda, but that has salt in it, and I can't have it. I have Meniere's so I'm on a low salt diet. :(

I did drink a ton of water yesterday in an effort to flush this out of my system. And, I rested as much as possible. I stopped and fed my horses on my way to work yesterday, did the bare minimum at work, went back to RU's farm, and probably slept for an hour. (I have a cot set up in my tack shed.) Then I got up and took care of her horses-she's away, then went home and took it easy.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
AL said:
I have a remedy for sinuses, but you usually have to be very sick to want to do it :lol:

Fix a small bowl of warm water and table salt (I don't measure, just dump some in the palm of my hand). Mix it well and then .... snort the salt water. I recommend you do this with a hankerchief in hand, over a sink or toilet. It burns like a sapsucker... but it sure does help.
Same idea as a netti pot. :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm glad you know about the no-baking-soda-thing, I was just about to warn you. I didn't realize that sodium of any kind aggravates the MD and I was flaring mine up using toothpaste with baking soda. Any sodium is sodium to your inner ear.
Bummer, though, ain't it? :hugs
At least you know there are folks like me who can relate.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'm glad you know about the no-baking-soda-thing, I was just about to warn you. I didn't realize that sodium of any kind aggravates the MD and I was flaring mine up using toothpaste with baking soda. Any sodium is sodium to your inner ear.
Bummer, though, ain't it? :hugs
At least you know there are folks like me who can relate.
Yep, and I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for you. I was looking yesterday for a natural cold remedy. I can't take most OTC meds, they make me dizzy-but not MD dizzy, if you know what I mean. And, I saw the old thread on cold remedies, and it mentioned the baking soda. I was going to try it-until I saw where you posted about it having salt. :/ So, thanks for the heads up!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have heard about the salwater up the nose thing. The person who told me, swears by it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
All week long, I've been feeling really drug out. On Wednesday, I finally realized that it was due to a cold, b4 that, I just put it down to the time chance and that I wasn't able to get to bed until an hour later than I was used to. As a result, the kitchen was a mess, and all the green tomatoes that I had saved for making green tomato pickles were getting some rot to them. Today, my hubby made me breakfast in bed. While I was happy to get it, I also realized that even though it was still "early", he was drunk. (It was around 9:00, I slept in, then took it easy because of the cold, and since I had so much to do.) I could hear him still messing around in the kitchen. I told him when you're done in there, LMK. I'm going to clean the kitchen. Around 10:30, I finally got up, and went in the kitchen. He had said I could come in earlier, but I could still hear him in there. Plus, w/him being drunk, I didn't want to be near him.

I walk in the kitchen to find that he had been cleaning it. His way of cleaning it? Throw out all the tomatoes that had even the smallest spot of rot on them. Put away all the dishes in the dishwasher w/out checking them first (sometimes the glasses and mugs don't come clean, and I knew that they hadn't in the last load), then reload it in such a way that the dishes won't come clean.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I didn't lose my temper, or anything, but he knew I was upset. He says he's not going to help anymore. I told him that's not the problem, just next time ask. So, instead of getting the tomatoes soaking w/the recipe that I found, instead I cleaned out a cabinet and some drawers. I still have a few to go, then I'll give the walls and cabinets a good scrubbing. Then, I'm going to get caught up on all the laundry-again (had it caught up earlier in the year, then he threw his back out and I spent so much time caring for him and running him to the chiropractor that I had no time to do much of anything else.)

But, that's only when I can't work outside. I still have to cut up wood, plus get my garden ready for winter. Even though I didn't get it all in this year-that was more due to how far behind I got because of him than anything else-I've decided to expand it and make it 8 ft wider. I don't know how much I can actually grow, but I'm wanting to experiment w/grains next year.

I'm also needing to see if I can more a red maple. I had dug it up several years ago, I don't recall now why, it may have come up in an area I didn't want it. Well, my DS was nice enough to plant it for me-w/out checking. And, I never had a chance to do anything about it. It's now about 10' tall. I don't know if I can move it or not, but w/where it is, it's in the way to expand my garden. Plus, it's on the south side, so eventually, it will give too much shade, so it has to get moved. I also want to move my burning bush. It's being crowded out by a hemlock. I just hope I have time to get the garden done, and the trees moved b4 the ground freezes.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im also expirementing with some grain (feed corn for the animals) this summer, maybe even some flour corn for me. I hope you get to feeling better!!!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
As far as moving those trees and bushes, there's not much a woman, a shovel,a crowbar and a fulcrum can't accomplish. The longer the bar, the more leverage. Just don't jump up and down on the end of the crowbar and miss! I bet you can do it!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm not having a good morning. RU is away, but Mason was doing really well. The vet had been away, so I had called him to see how long he needed to be getting the shots as well as what I needed to watch for. (The vet knows me, knows I take care of RU's animals when she's away, so he'll talk to me about their treatment) I was able to stop his meds, but also given the instruction to call if he got worse. And, he was doing great. He was eating and drinking, and seemed to be fine. Then yesterday, I got out there, and he hadn't eaten the hay and grain I had given him Friday b4 I left. He was not rolling, nor acting like he had colic, so I called the vet. He wasn't able to get back to me until after I had already left the farm. But, since the meds he was on could have made stomach problems, I was told to give him some Pepto in the morning.

I don't have Pepto, so I had to stop at the store and get some. When I got to the farm, I noticed he wasn't in his stall. There's no door, just a gate and the bottom of the gate had been pushed out. I went looking for him, and found him dead in the field. Needless to say, I called the vet. He was on his way to another call, but told me he'd be out ASAP. All the tests that he had run had come back negative, and while it was a bit past the time, there's still the possibility of rabies. While I was waiting, I went ahead and fed everybody else, and put someone elses horse back in the field he belonged. (Hopefully he'll stay there at least the rest of the day, thought I did figure out where he keeps getting out. :/) I also called my hubby to let him know what was going on, and I needed him to get me a phone number. There was no way I was going to be able to make church, and I was supposed to have JR church, so I called someone else to see if they could cover for me. I also called RU. She had me call the guy who normally disposes of any dead animals for her. He wasn't there. Great, I called RU back. Her instructions? Just cover him w/a blanket, and she'd take care of him when she got home.

The vet finally gets there. I was relieved in a way to find out that he didn't need to take the whole head, just the brain. (I know in some states, they take the whole head!) But, he also said he might need some help. I did warn him that I just might pass out, and/or get sick. So, that meant I had to stay there. He was fine-until he went to take the brain out. Then, he needed someone to hold a bag while he put it in. Of course, that meant I needed to hold it. Then, I had to put that bag in another bag, seal it and put it in his cooler w/ice. But, I was surprised. I did not pass out. I did not get sick. I didn't even feel sick, so maybe I can process my own chickens after all!

Right now, I'm beat. I hadn't had any breakfast b4 I went out because I wasn't planning on being long. All I had w/me was a chocolate bar-not much of a breakfast. I came home, put a chicken in the oven, cut up the giblets for giblet gravy, grabbed a bite to eat, and I'm going to crash. Not really how I planned on spending my Sunday morning.

Oh, and FF, I'm not so much worried about getting the tree and bush out as I am about them surviving the move. And, it's also 1 reason I decided to wait until now to move them, rather than this past spring, or waiting until next spring. I figure they have a better chance of survival since they're (hopefully) dormant. :/