Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dawn419 wrote:
I just hope that you don't use your one-liners on the therapist...they may never let you go becuse of your comic relief!

Hope your pt went well!

Actually, they don't go over very well w/him.
Well, sorry 'bout his luck! :plbb

It's okay, that just means more for us! :hugs

Oh, almost forgot...IF you ever need an excuse to ride...I'll be your excuse...this ride's for Dawn!!! ;)

PatchofHeavenFarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:thumbsup Yay! it is beautiful weather here for riding as well.. wish I had time to take a ride but with 7 stalls and 20 horses to feed and 6 to work and brush a trail ride is out of the question.. :(

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
PatchofHeavenFarm said:
:thumbsup Yay! it is beautiful weather here for riding as well.. wish I had time to take a ride but with 7 stalls and 20 horses to feed and 6 to work and brush a trail ride is out of the question.. :(
I'm not trail riding yet, just in the riding arena. I rode again today, but not for as long. The wind was even worse today! So, she was spooking at EVERYTHING! She trusts me completely on the ground, but she's not 100% there under saddle. She had one spot in particular that she didn't want to get near. But, I worked her a bit, and finally got her past that point w/out spooking. I figured I was going to end on a good note, and stop. And, I decided I was going to dismount on the near side today, and see how I did. I actually was almost able to do a normal dismount! So, I'll continue to dismount this way for now. Once my leg is a bit better, I'll work some more on dismounting on the off side for just in case I ever have to do it again.

I'm glad I got off when I did. Not too long afterward, we had a really bad gust of wind. And, RU's soft sided shed (looks like the one Dawn has) got blown over. I can just imagine how she would have reacted to that! 2 of the stakes held, the other 2 didn't. And, there's not a thing we could do about it today. Hopefully the wind will stop blowing and we can do something about it soon. Right now, it's in my way to get to the riding arena. I can get in another way, it just means I have to go thru CL's field, which is probably what I'll be doing tomorrow.

I'm feeling better in the saddle, so I know I'm healing. And, I need to get to where I can ride for longer soon. I just found out yesterday, we're supposed to be doing a beach ride in April! If the weather is nice next week, and anyone is around, I'm hoping to go for a short trail ride towards the end of the week.

Last week, it took me all of the time I have set aside for cleaning plus part of the time on Friday to clean my bathroom. Today, it took me less than an hour! So, I also was able to work on the bedroom.

Because of the wind, I didn't ride the bike today. It was bad enough dealing w/the wind while driving my truck, let alone on the bike. So, I took my generator and new saw. I cut up some down poplar trees for RU. We'll burn them for outside fires (if the wind ever stops blowing). They burn quickly, so they're not the greatest for an inside fire-unless you just want to look at some pretty flames, or have a small fire for just getting the chill off in the morning or in the evening. Then I went over to where I used to work. My former boss called me last night wanting to know if I could come and get some wood soon. So, I went and got what I could. There's still more I can get, but I'm not quite agile enough to get it. (I left her a message and told her I'd be back in April.) But, I'm so glad I no longer work there. She has a stream on the property. She had done some cleaning along the banks, but there was still a lot of stuff on the banks, mainly multiflora roses, native honeysuckle, and elderberry bushes. After Irene hit, they had quite a bit of flooding. So, they had someone come in and do some work to the stream bed. And, other than some small trees, everything is gone! While I didn't mind about the roses-they were a pain-I did like the honeysuckle and the elderberries. To me, it just looks so bare now. I found myself thinking about all the small birds that counted on those bushes for food and shelter. Personally, I wouldn't have wiped it all out, but that's just me. I'm just glad I don't have to look at it everyday.

Did some more work on the green house. I was going to work some on stapling down the plastic where it's become loose, but of course, I can't find my staple gun! Apparently, I didn't put it away last time I used it. Guess I'm going to have to bring home the one I keep out at the farm. And, I'm not going to be able to get the inside all taken care of now. There's just too much damage from the ground hog. :rant W/my leg, I'm just not up to it. So, I'll work on it more tomorrow, and hopefully get stuff growing by Sunday. Then, I'm hoping to get my garden all cleaned out by the following week so I can get early stuff in.

Oh, and I heard spring peepers last night, and again today! I always listen for them in March. It just makes Spring seem so much closer.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally told my hubby about my new checking account. I'll admit to being a bit scared of doing so. I used to have my own savings account and he did nothing but grumble and complain about it. I closed it when I built my tack shed-that's where most of the money came from. And I imagined him freaking out and getting nasty. Well, not only did he not get nasty, but he thought it was a good idea. He didn't like the idea of me keeping money either in my tack shed, or in my pouch for just in case. For those that have been praying, I'm seeing changes in him. He no longer is getting drunk and nasty-he knows I'll walk. He's starting to listen to me and treating me much better. I suggested that we do devotions together. So far, he's not wanting to do it, but I'm praying that he'll change his mind.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
What a bummer on the stream bank. If I understand things from what I have been taught, it is important to gave growth around streams, otherwise that is how washouts happen during times when the water rises. It is important to have trees and other things that root deeply to stabilize the banks.

Glad you had a safe ride!! Do be really careful riding on those days. I don't get on Storm if I don't think he'll stay calm, I just don't go there. I am not nimble or agile, so I don't do emergency dismounts! If he doesn't seem like he is sane, then I just don't ride. I might still work on the ground, but I make good and sure that he doesn't have any goofyness in there before I climb up!!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
And that was why I didn't continue to ride. I didn't think it would be safe. I was hoping since there were a couple of other people riding at the same time it would help her to stay calm. Nope, she was just too spooky. I guess that's what I get for riding an Arab! :lol: She was much better today. The only thing she spooked at was some cats. But, I'm getting up and down much better. I'm thinking I might try her in the RP next week to work on having her stand still while mounting. She likes to move off when I'm not quite settled. I always make sure she's square (or close to it) when I mount, so I know it's not that she's off balance. I've been meaning to work on this for a couple of years now, but just have never made the time. Now I will.

I'm also thinking of getting a friend of mine over. I'm a trail rider. Until I got Misty, I never trained a horse under saddle B4. And, there are things I want to do w/her that I just don't know how to ask her to do, or how to teach her to do. I'd love to do western dressage w/her. I think she'd do well (she's a beautiful mover), and I wouldn't find it as confining as regular dressage. So, I'll call in MS.

ETA: I agree on the stream banks. They're steep and I think the only thing holding them in place was the bushes. I had told her B4 that she'd be better off encouraging the honeysuckle and elderberry and getting rid of the roses-only because of the thorns. And that's what she had been doing. I don't know what made her change her mind. I hate to think of what will happen if we get another bad storm thru.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Got up this morning, finished loading the dishwasher and ran it.
Cleaned as much of my "library" as I could.
Emptied the vacuum, and washed the filter.
Ate breakfast and worked on my Spanish.
Went to therapy.
Went to the farm and fed horses. Let Stormy out in RU's yard to graze on some grass. Got set up for riding then put Stormy away.
Rode Misty for a bit, then put her away.
Gave Storm his 2nd feeding, bagged feed, took care of the cats and left.
Came home and ate lunch.

Now I'm sitting here doing nothing! I'm not used to sitting around when it's not been forced or it's too dark out to do anything. And while I could work outside, hubby has already said we're going to spend tomorrow working in the yard, so I'm not going to worry about it. Maybe what I'll do instead is go and work some more on the bedroom.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
For some reason, I can never sleep past 5:30 on a Saturday morning-I can during the week if I don't set the alarm, but never on a Saturday. And, I'm tired. We had some really nice, warm days during the week, temps in the 50s, 60s and even 70s! Today, it's in the upper 30s, w/a wind chill in the 20s! We were going to spend the day working in the yard, working on the green house, wood, etc. Instead, today seems to be a good day to sit back and relax, maybe take a nap.