Dreamer Living off Social Security

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I know that Tilapia would be a no-go here in Maine. The lake where I go swimming actually had a school of Crappie that hung out under the swimming float. Have never eaten one. I'd like to even set up a bath tub system to play with the technology this summer. I have the perfect location: a low retaining wall with flower bed at the top, and just the right height to put a bath tub under it for the fish, with the grow beds above.

But, I think it would be wise to start small, with a tiny system. Have already ordered my water test kit, and have plenty of experience cycling fish tanks with ammonia.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
crappie are good eats. We occasionally we catch a crappie when we are fishing. I like them filleted and pan fried. Very delicate flavor, white flakey flesh.
I have had so much lousy tilapia I will never eat it again.

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I know that Tilapia would be a no-go here in Maine. The lake where I go swimming actually had a school of Crappie that hung out under the swimming float. Have never eaten one. I'd like to even set up a bath tub system to play with the technology this summer. I have the perfect location: a low retaining wall with flower bed at the top, and just the right height to put a bath tub under it for the fish, with the grow beds above.

But, I think it would be wise to start small, with a tiny system. Have already ordered my water test kit, and have plenty of experience cycling fish tanks with ammonia.
If its outside make sure you put a racoon proof strucutre on top... Little Bas... erds love to fish... Cray fish are an excellent choice for clean up duty as long as the fish arent too small. They love to get out of the water though... dig dens along the banks... Very interesting to watch.

Oh and Duck weed Can be bought online and is an excellent forage for your fish Chickens love it too. You can eat it as well as Horses goats and sheep...

deb

perchie.girl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh and the larger the better on aqaua systems.... less tendancy to crash if something goes wrong.

I used to work in a big aquarium store back in the seventies Just as aquarium manufacturers came out with RTV sealed aquariums. Up till then they were glass and tar and chrome. We had an Ichtheologist working on staff and I learned a bunch from him on Aquarium keeping. We had both salt and freshwater fish at the time. Though I never saw him do a ph test or cycle a tank.

Using what I knew from him and some help from a more current set of chriteria I had a 110 gallon tank in my house here in town.... I had angle fish from quarter size that grew to about four inches across and started breeding.... Unfortunately the tank was a community tank and as soon as the eggs were layed and firtilized the Plecostomus cam up and cleaned them off the artificial leaf.

He was a senior citizen from my early days. about thirty years old and the size of a bedroom slipper....:lol:

Here I can grow tilapia... Though I will have to add supplemental heat to the system... For what its worth they taste like what they eat... So the store bought ones are farm raised... Most likely in China. Enough said.

I dont like The taste as well but I will reserve judgement for my own. Tilapia are Omnivores but in the wild the bulk of their diet is Algae and plant based materials. I plan on raising my own Duck weed for feed supplementation. plus allow algae to grow on the tanks.

For what its worth Green Algae is a sign of good water... its only detrement is it can clog filtration systems. Blue green stuff that grows like algae... in the wild is infact not an algae but a bacterial colony that uses algae in a symboitic relationship.
Blue green Algae is related to Spirulina which can be used as a food supplement for people and farm animals. Fish can eat spirulina as well. But Blue Green algae is called Cianobacteria.

A condensed quote from Wikipedia...
""
Spirulina represents a biomass of cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) that can be consumed by humans and other animals. The two species are Arthrospira platensis and A. maxima. ""

For what its worth I am a researcher by nature.... When I find a single source of information I make sure its not the only source.... So I have read many different sources before I accept it as fact... NO place Is carte blanche for information. But the internet has Diverse points of view and allows us to access information directly.... Wether it be research think tanks or University papers on the subject.

I accept Wikipedia for alot of my information because it can be clear and consise in explanation. BUT if its a new subject for me I further resarch to confirm... So far I have only found an off kilter bit of info on occasion.

deb

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks PG. Good idea about the edible plants.

My aquarium history: At one time I had 14 tanks, 9 of which were in my basement, raising multiple broods of angel fish from a single breeding pair. 2 primary upstairs tanks were VHO lighting, CO2 supplemented, heavily planted. Every couple of months, I'd harvest a bucket full of plants and live bearers and trundle them off to my favorite pet store. The intent with the angel fish fry was to grow them out and sell them to a ready market of aquarium stores. At least that was the intent when I started my venture, and every pet store I contacted told me they would buy the babies in lots of 25 - 50! 900 babies later, when first group was ready to go, the responses I got from all stores: "We just bought angels, call back next month." It took me 18 months to unload all those angels! I barely broke even, given the expense of electricity to light and heat all those tanks. Had intended the profits to pay for my son's college education!

You have the advantage of living in a much warmer climate.

As for Tilapia: I used to really enjoy it. But the last few times I ate it, not so much. Agreed, a food source can not be any better than what goes into growing it. In China, they actually recycle feed through chicken butts, which are kept in cages over the tilapia tanks. Nuff said!

Catfish are a viable option for AP.

If you and I ever got a chance to sit down and enjoy a meal together, it would be the middle of next week before we had exhausted the topics that interest us!

My experience with duck weed: highly invasive. I meticulously picked every single little plantlet off the water surface to keep it from blocking light from the rest of the tank. However, in the right application, duck week would be an incredible protein source. I believe when unchecked, it doubles it's area at least every week.

Agreed, some species of algae are a sign of healthy water. I had a lot of fighting with the black hair algae. Left the good stuff on the back and sides of the tank. Love a good plecostamos. There could be profit in growing some of the easier tropical fish for sale to the fish trades. Plecostamos would be a good option. A large one can sell for up to $25.00.

Research: I beat any subject to death, before moving on to a new one. I find that the learning is as much fun as, if not more fun than the doing.

No tanks going now. I cleared all that stuff out when I started doing research on poultry keeping. So, it is with trepidation that I am planning to venture back into the "wet world". Knowing that I have a limited amount of time, money and energy.