Elwood and family's journal of our ss journey

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your wife, and about the snafu on the camper... but I believe it's because a better solution is in the offing. Don't turn away from the idea of a camper, if a bargain should happen to cross your path. Even if you have your permanent home already, a camper or small trailer could be useful as guest accommodations... or additional living quarters when your son gets old enough to start hankering after a "place of his own"... or even emergency housing in case of a disaster like a fire.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm sure you know this and am only going to mention it because it could be forgotten in the excitement - but, insulate it well, especially the roof/ceiling. I only say this because a friend of mine did something similar - bought a shed for a cabin - and totally forget to insulate before drywall and paint went up. What a pain to blow in insulation after the fact.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We will put in a septic at some point. We live in southern Kentucky so doesn't get super cold. I plan to insulate and skirt around the base. All water pipes will all be wrapped as well.
Well 911 has finally got us an address!! Next call to water company

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh wow. I am going to insulate it very well. I have been in construction for last several years so i know the process pretty well. Frame out, wire, plumb insulate drywall.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I figured you know what you are doing.

However, it never hurts to point out the obvious, lol... it drives my DH nuts, until I mention something he forgot.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well looking online about a 100 feet they say for a well. That is not bad

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my area there are many "shallow" wells, especially since we are not a rock area. But, for home use, I really like to have a well company do the work. An established company knows what to look for, the best water depth in that area, etc.

My own farm has no dependable shallow water where my house sits, so 510' gives me a tap into the huge aquafer upon which I sit....didn't know at buy of farm. The back end is much lower and while water is available at a shallower depth, not as dependable for "always & good". My driller told me I would never run dry (and it tested great quality).

Of course, I had thought a shallow for several hundred $$ was what I'd have/need -- I found that several thousand would be needed. It has been a great investment, as it turns out. No drought here as long as the pump is running. Plus, it would cost me triple to drill it now...20 yrs later.

I'd suggest you at least call a good driller to get an estimate and read of the land. You may be surprised.

Also, electric company may provide for less than you fear. :) I am serviced by a "co-op" and they are great!! Many electric co-ops formed simply to service rural areas. With that, they often provide more than you may think. Won't be free, but...is it less than that solar? You may want to consider a propane, whole house generator unit...get yet another estimate.:D

AND -- how much electric do you need? Heat by? Cook by? frig? lights? and so on....wood, coal, oil, kero, propane ???

What an adventure -- right? :lol:

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well we are living in an apartment while we work on our house. Dw's medical issues being what they are it is better for her. We went out to our property today and i was shocked. Someone has mowed and baled the grass! I dont know what to think.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dw is doing much better finally has the bug beat. Getting back to her pampered chef business. Which means i am playing camera man again lol. I am getting better at it slowly.