Favorite ways to eat oatmeal

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
So I've never soaked oatmeal. Or really thought about it. Which is silly, since I always soak my beans. Even SO says "hun, where's the whey so I can put some in the beans?" He's such a sweet dear :D

Anyway, I don't have yogurt or kefir or buttermilk. I have whey from making mozzarella, but the only fermenting I do is kombucha. I don't have much/any kitchen and fridge space. So what are my options? I feel like ACV would make it really bitter, and whey might make it fall apart. Also, how much do I add? Do I drain the water off before cooking it after the soak? Since it will have soaked up a lot of water at that point, do I add less when I cook it? Etc, etc.

Thanks!
If you want to use just whey, you get the oats wet with water, and then add a tbls or so of whey to it.
Some people use lemon juice, but that is rather distinct in flavor, and I do not like it at all.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just remember that the whey from mozzarella, a thermophilic cheese, is pasteurized so it won't do all the things that raw whey does, since it doesn't have the good bacteria anymore. It should be acidic enough to soak your beans, though. You CAN use plain water in a pinch, but the acidifying whey speeds up the process of neutralizing phytates.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
I am brand new to soaking grains, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but you just add enough liquid so the grains are moist, not like soaking beans where you have a lot of water. So you would add enough whey to make a really stiff dough consistency.

But tonight is my first try with soaking rolled oats, so we'll see.
When I soak grains/flour, I use the amount of liquid in whatever recipe I am making, replacing a Tbsp or so with whey. It really depends on the recipe. Some don't lend well to soaking, many do. I think there might be more specifics on the fermenting thread.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
freemotion said:
BTW, I just made oatmeal cookies. Haven't made them for a couple of years. I used our home-rolled oats, freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour, home-rendered (but not home-grown....yet!) lard, chopped dark baking chocolate, sea salt, molasses and less sugar than the recipe called for. Still too sweet, but ooooooo, yummy! Two days of COLD rain and that time of the month....couldn't help it. I jumped right off the wagon! :D
Is this recipe posted anywhere? :D :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

I love to eat oatmeal with brown sugar and real maple syrup :D :weee :weee

and can someone tell me why we're soaking grains? :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
freemotion said:
BTW, I just made oatmeal cookies. Haven't made them for a couple of years. I used our home-rolled oats, freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour, home-rendered (but not home-grown....yet!) lard, chopped dark baking chocolate, sea salt, molasses and less sugar than the recipe called for. Still too sweet, but ooooooo, yummy! Two days of COLD rain and that time of the month....couldn't help it. I jumped right off the wagon! :D

It is to reduce the phytic acid that all grains, seeds and nuts have.
Phytic acid is the proven causer of cavities, and it also is at the root of leaky gut and various allergies.

Prior to indistrialization, all grains were soaked, fermented or sprouted.
In fact when the farmers woudl harvest wheat for example, they would bundle it, standing it up in shocks in the fields as they harvested.
The moisture from the dew at night, and the warmth of the sun in the day, would actually cause the grains to sprout a tiny bit, eliminating the phytic acid, which is the natural preservative.

Today, all grains are harvested and dried immediatly.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Okiemommy said:
freemotion said:

It is to reduce the phytic acid that all grains, seeds and nuts have.
Phytic acid is the proven causer of cavities, and it also is at the root of leaky gut and various allergies.

Prior to indistrialization, all grains were soaked, fermented or sprouted.
In fact when the farmers woudl harvest wheat for example, they would bundle it, standing it up in shocks in the fields as they harvested.
The moisture from the dew at night, and the warmth of the sun in the day, would actually cause the grains to sprout a tiny bit, eliminating the phytic acid, which is the natural preservative.

Today, all grains are harvested and dried immediatly.
hmmmm interesting!!! :D I have so much to learn! And I am SO glad that I saw this thread!!

Sooooooo....would that mean that people with wheat allergies can eat that food if it is soaked or fermented?

I have children with Autism, and we are about to go full force into the GFCF diet. I am wondering if maybe gluten isn't the culprit, and maybe it's how the grains are processed? OR Gluten is the culprit, and soaking and fermenting eliminates the problem? Does anyone have any insight into this?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
hmmmm interesting!!! :D I have so much to learn! And I am SO glad that I saw this thread!!

Sooooooo....would that mean that people with wheat allergies can eat that food if it is soaked or fermented?

I have children with Autism, and we are about to go full force into the GFCF diet. I am wondering if maybe gluten isn't the culprit, and maybe it's how the grains are processed? OR Gluten is the culprit, and soaking and fermenting eliminates the problem? Does anyone have any insight into this?
I would recommend doing this diet to heal everyones gut first.
www.gapsdiet.com
Then once you are sure of healing, you can experiment with real sourdough.
Studies have been done in Australia with them eating old fashioned sourdough with great success.
But again, it should not be eaten without the gut being healed first.
I can talk with you more about this if you like.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
The oatmeal must be cooked with whole milk.
Add as many raisins as you like.
Turbinado sugar only, please.
Toss a pat of REAL butter on top and I am in heaven!!
That's the way I like it. I also like brown sugar on it and I like it with cocoa added: chocolate oatmeal :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Okiemommy, it was the recipe for oatmeal cookies that I took from a Quaker Oats box years ago. I just replaced the ingredients with good stuff, reduced the sugar, and added a little molasses to get a rich flavor and save by not buying brown sugar. You can do the soak by making the dough the night before and using a bit of whey in place of the water that this recipe calls for, then letting the dough sit, covered, on the counter overnight. When I do this, I only use eggs from my own hens that are so clean they don't even need to be wiped, so I know I am not incubating anything bad. Good, live whey from kefir, yogurt, or mesophilic cheese will help overwhelm any bad beasties, too.

Soaking overnight or for 24 hours does not get rid of gluten, it neutralizes phytates, which are germination inhibitors present in all seeds in various amounts, and which are also nutrient-blockers and quite an irritant to our digestive systems. Many people can tolerate grains by simply observing this shorter soaking, but more sensitive people need to go with the traditional 2 week aging process as in traditional sourdough. That is why I like the MEN artisan bread recipe....you can mix up the dough, and leave it in the fridge for two weeks, then bake it. Pretty close to traditional without all the work.

But I agree with BBrook, you do need to heal the digestive tract first, which can take some time.....even a year or two or more. And if you have true celiac's and can tolerate grains prepared using traditional methods, it doesn't mean the celiac's is healed....eating "regular" bread, etc, can bring all the symptoms right back.

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My kiddos and I love our oatmeal with french vanilla coffee creamer.

Yum!! Is it breakfast yet?