Favorite ways to eat oatmeal

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi freemotion-

You mentioned that you used home-rolled oats. Do you grow your own oats, what kind? How do you process/roll them?

We love oatmeal too, and would like to grow and eat our own. We have a little patch of the hulless oats started.

On another thought- could you buy and use oats from a livestock feed store? Any worries about contaminants, chemicals?

Thanks

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The YardFarmers said:
Hi freemotion-

You mentioned that you used home-rolled oats. Do you grow your own oats, what kind? How do you process/roll them?

We love oatmeal too, and would like to grow and eat our own. We have a little patch of the hulless oats started.

On another thought- could you buy and use oats from a livestock feed store? Any worries about contaminants, chemicals?

Thanks
I buy oat groats from Whole Foods, but they are getting hard to find. Oat groats are the oat version of wheat berries. What you get in the feed store still has the hull on it, and from what I hear, it is hard to remove. I buy these for sprouting for my critters.

The roller just flattens the whole oat, so you need to start with a hulled oat. I don't know if "hulless" means TRULY lacking a hull, though. I don't know how they could grow without any hull, so I am guessing that hulless is really a lighter hull. But I never really researched it....anyone know?

At this point, I don't want to take on growing my own grains. If I found myself at the point where I had to grow ALL my own food, I'd likely skip the grains altogether, except maybe something for the chickens for the winter....likely oats and corn, and harvest some of the oats a bit green and let them do double duty as hay for the goats. Feed corn grows well around here, so I'd grow that for the hens and for bedding. So I would not be doing any threshing. But I really can't see that happening, I am not a total "what if TSHTF" kinda gal. I'm rambling again. I can't help you with the grain growing info, as I haven't given it much thought once I decided it was far too much work and would use up far too much of my precious small bit of open land.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think that is it, but I got it from another site. It can be ordered to fit the KitchenAid. It is in my cupboard, but I've never actually used it. My dad makes all the oatmeal here!

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone for all the info on the oat rollers. I did not know you could roll your own oatmeal from oat groats.

We've been eating irish oats from Bobs Mill, cooking them in the crockpot mostly. We have a grain grinder, so DH and I thought we would just grind the oats if we grew them instead of making oatmeal flakes. I think I will try posting for a used oat roller on Craigslist and see if anything comes through on that.

YardFarmer Julie

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi OFG,

Good to hear from you. I have been sick from my fibromyalgia for a little over 3 weeks now- have no idea what set it off or why I couldn't seem to shake it. Am feeling much better today, so am getting back into our SS group (although I've been reading all along, just not posting).

Our hulless oats were planted last week- we did a 30 x 40 foot plot. Maybe we'll have somegrown oatmeal by the fall. (It was kind of spur of the moment decision, so have no idea how we are going to cut/thresh/clean it- YET). We are usually really good about researching stuff like that ahead of time, but I guess I will consider this to be our oat adventure. At the worst, we'll feed it to the chickens and use it for bedding.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
The YardFarmers said:
Hi OFG,

Good to hear from you. I have been sick from my fibromyalgia for a little over 3 weeks now- have no idea what set it off or why I couldn't seem to shake it. Am feeling much better today, so am getting back into our SS group (although I've been reading all along, just not posting).

Our hulless oats were planted last week- we did a 30 x 40 foot plot. Maybe we'll have somegrown oatmeal by the fall. (It was kind of spur of the moment decision, so have no idea how we are going to cut/thresh/clean it- YET). We are usually really good about researching stuff like that ahead of time, but I guess I will consider this to be our oat adventure. At the worst, we'll feed it to the chickens and use it for bedding.
Have you ever had your adrenals checked?
All the studying I have done, points to Fybro stemming from Adrenal Fatigue.
Best wishes on the oat growing!