Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Conan fan club requests pics of him outside!

When he's a giant stinky buck we'll all wonder why we were obsessed with him, lol!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
X2 on the pics, please! I hope his first night outside went well.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
image.jpg
Ok, ok! Lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have heard/read that a mature Kiko buck could be in the 250 - 300 lb range! That's a big goat ! LOL But that's one of the reasons I wanted to bottle feed - the other reason was to get him disbudded.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Like that member on BYH that used to post, oh I can't remember their username now, they rode cattle.

He's gorgeous and getting big now :love

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He is definitely growing up! (and being a bit of a PIA) He likes to walk right under your feet trying to get you to stop and feed him. Uh no!

I've been kinda busy today and it feels awesome! I moved a couple big wagons of hay from a round bale that the goats have spread everywhere. It was so muddy I didn't even try to move this bale to their regular feeding spot. (Not sure the tractor could have handled the weight AND the axle deep mud.) The spot I usually use is where I have the panels to wrap around the bale so they can't tear it up like they did this one....argh. I knew there would be a lot of waste from it, but it's not really waste if I use it in the garden, right? I think it'll be ok because spring is really knocking on the door around here. There's green popping up everywhere so I don't think I will need the last of the round bales for feed. That makes it ok that it's getting spread out everywhere, lol.

After I moved hay, I planted another area in spring peas. Not so sure how that'll work out because this was a bag of seeds that was several years old. We will see... If they don't sprout I've got another few bags that I'll try too. Gardening is about persistence!

Got that chore done and moved on to the quail. Now that they are mature I wanted to clear out some of the excess males. Grabbed one, dispatched it and started butchering. I usually turn them away from me when I take off their heads - but the discriminating marks that identify the sexes are on the breast. Silly me...I didn't even notice that I'd butchered a hen until I found an egg inside, lol. GRRRRRR! Soooo, I butchered 4 males and a hen.

DH has actually been doing a couple of outside chores too! It's like a miracle for sure. Temp is high 70's so he can work outside with those temps - real heat just destroys him.

I let Conan out of his pen to run in the yard a bit. Guess I should go feed him and put him up before he breaks the back door down!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Poor FEM has been helping me all day too.... Hmm gotta go update my journal huh?

Latest posts