Green Burial

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As far as cutting costs, we were told by the mortuary that we had to pay for the embalming and transportation to a university when my dad wanted to be donated to science. He had lived beyond the donor age and with medically treated conditions, that wasn't a viable option. Even then we were going to have to pay for the disposal of the remains after donor harvesting. He did not want us paying for anything, if he had any say in the matter. He felt it was a total waste of money.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
My dislike of cremation has nothing to do with standard religion, I'm a Pantheist, to me Nature is sacred. I want to be planted, in a pine box, unembalmed, not in a concrete vault (the way they demand you do it here in MA), and I want an oak tree planted on top of me. I am of the earth, and I want to return to the earth. Why they bury people in vaults is beyond me, we should rot the way all formerly living things do, and return from whence we came. Note I'm not talking about the spirit, I'm talking about the physical vessel.
Doesn't matter to me. I'm sure I won't object either way. I find the whole vault, service, people crying bizarre. I want a clown then and bunnies in gift cages!

Very nice way to be buried. My uncle was done this way last year. He wanted a maple tree tho.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
we should rot the way all formerly living things do, and return from whence we came.
Totally agree! Well put.

Extra bonus if we got to return there via tigers, in my case <g>

Pat

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
reinbeau said:
we should rot the way all formerly living things do, and return from whence we came.
Totally agree! Well put.

Extra bonus if we got to return there via tigers, in my case <g>

Pat
:lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
http://www.theoldpinebox.com/models.html

Here's a link! I read in a mag not long ago about a company who makes the pine boxes and they were much prettier than the ones on this site.

Morel, I'll have to ask my pastor about all that. Might have to rethink my being subjected to being "memorialized" on this earth. I just never felt my passing through this world merited much notice and didn't think my death should either! ;)

I've heard that embalming is not compulsory but a lot of folks want it to "preserve" their loved ones as long as possible~not sure why they would want that, but there it is.

My cousin is married to a mortician and he told us once that the average American eats so many preservatives daily that they would not need embalming to remain "fresh" for quite some time. Interesting, huh? :p

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Embalming is a requirement in some states and/or areas, here in Massachusetts, it's a requirement for a buried body, cremation lets you off on that one. I'm looking into Maine's requirements (I do know if you own more than 5 acres up there you can still have a family plot).

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
My cousin is married to a mortician and he told us once that the average American eats so many preservatives daily that they would not need embalming to remain "fresh" for quite some time. Interesting, huh? :p
lol eww!
This method is allowed in SC.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
So what happens to Christians who are burned to death in house fires then? Were they bad people fated to die that way or is there some due process for them to claim unintentional death by fire? I don't mean to discount anyone's beliefs, I just personally don't think life and decisions about what to do with one's remains are so straight forward and clean cut.

I personally find burial repulsive. I think I'd rather be set out on a mountain top and let the birds of prey figure out what to do with me.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
sylvie said:
MorelCabin said:
SKR8PN said:
My thoughts on this are in my signature line. :cool:
No offense...but i was refering to Bee, and didn't ask for anyones thoughts:>) :hugs
Harsh. Isn't this a public forum? :rolleyes:
I thought the same thing, but then, my daddy always taught me not to pay any attention to sh!t unless you were stepping in it. :lol:

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
So what happens to Christians who are burned to death in house fires then? Were they bad people fated to die that way or is there some due process for them to claim unintentional death by fire? I don't mean to discount anyone's beliefs, I just personally don't think life and decisions about what to do with one's remains are so straight forward and clean cut.

I personally find burial repulsive. I think I'd rather be set out on a mountain top and let the birds of prey figure out what to do with me.
Well obviously Christians who perish in housefires didn't do it by choice. It's the choices we make in life that make us who we are:>)