Halloween

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Karen, we always made our own costumes when we were growing up too. And I do the same with my kids too. One yr ds#1 was a choclate covered marshmallow. And we went to thrift stores too. I refuse to pay those high prices.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Roosmom, I refuse to buy all the high priced costumes, I make the majority of them for my kids. One yr my ds#1 went as a chocolate covered marshmallow. No need to worry about a look a like that yr.
:gig OMG a choc covered marshmellow? I would love to see that. I cant even imagine.....
I couldnt afford new costumes. We also scrounged in closets and yard sales. I think growing up all I got was a new (plastic) mask. You know the ones, Casper the friendy ghost?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh yes I remember those plastic masks, we had a few of those too. Casper? now that brings back memories! I wish I had a pic of that costume. We took a white sheet & folded it up to his size & then sewed it up with arm, leg & head holes. And we left a small opening on the side to stuff it with batting. then I took chocolate brown felt & cut it into different shapes & sizes & we fabric glued it on the shoulders & down the costumes in a few strips(like it was running down it). Then I took some more felt & made a hat too. He thought it was very cool & it was his idea too. All I had to buy was the batting. Not sure what happened to it either, would be working for ds#2 this or next yr.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I seriously despise how commercial Halloween has gotten (in just a decade or so, it has ballooned astoundingly) but am still perfectly well 'into' making costumes for a playgroup party, etc :)

So, two years ago I sewed Harry a tiger tail (on belt) and tiger hat with ears, very cute. Last year he was a dump truck, with a rubbermaid tub strapped onto his back and stuffed fabric 'wheels'. Both outfits got played with at home a fair bit even after halloween was long over.

This year he informs me that he and John want to be ants. (They like to play 'ants' at home. Don't ask :p) So I guess I will be sewing up ant costumes <shrug>. I am thinking a dark hood-style hat with fake ant eyes and deelybopper type antennae, and a dark sweatshirt with an extra pair of 'legs' sewn on and a big ant-style booty hanging down behind him. how do I get myself into these things. Perhaps I could convince him to be a chicken instead... :p

I actually do feel sort of bad (probably more for myself than for him) that we live on a rural road where there is no possibility at all of trick or treating. I have very fond memories of it and would like him to have the fun too. Except, it wouldn't be like that nowadays anyhow, so, oh well. Probably when he's older he'll have friends in town he can go 'round with. Still won't be like MY childhood, though. Sigh :)

Pat

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:idunno SIGH here too. I think our grandkids are missing out on a lot, good memories, good times......

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Pat, instead of a hat & sweatshirt, why not a hooded sweat jacket for the ant costume? Just a thought. I like your ideas & how you made them. We usually just put out a jack "o ' lantern on our front porch & spider webbing, but we have no porch yet just a 3x3 concrete pad so pumpkin it will be for this yr. Hopefully once we get everything done around here we wnat to get done dh can get started on making some more holiday decorations out of wood for us to decorate with out front. Hoping that next yr we will have enough pumpkins in our garden to put them on display with some bales of hay.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I hear ya on how it feels like the little ones are missing out cause I live in a very rural area too.

we drive into town and hit the big festivities. so that is good, but for me growing up, lived in neighborhood in NJ and tons and tons of houses to hit, kids cutting thru yards, all kind of fun. Nicole won't know that type of fun I had with the kids....but she will make her own good memories I am sure. All our kids will!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The sad fact is it just isn't safe anymore to let our kids go out like that alone. I remember from about 9 yrs old we went with our friends & mom stayed at home. When we lived back in the KS/ OK area we always lived out of town & parents took us into town for t & ting. But here we lived in town & just went with our friends. So we do what our parents did we drive them into town for the evening. Even though we have neighbors out here(all 1 1/4 acres) no one rings your doorbell.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, I know I am slow. Here are three pics of my decorations. Now keep in mind that they are all homemade.
This one is of my ghost. she moves up and down and glows in the dark.
316_pdr_0366.jpg

this one is of my granddaughter and I installing the cemetery one year.
316_pdr_1480.jpg

I realized after trying to upload my ceiling crawler that the pic is to dark. All you would see is black. I will take a daylight pic this year to show you.
I really dislike dialup, it takes so long...that is why I am so slow.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
COOL PICS
nice to "see you"
your GD is pretty! you sure look like ya'll are having fun!!!
:)