Home made......

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
beekissed, please, PUHLEEEZ share your coney sauce recipe! (will begging work?) ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hey..yeah...give me a mo'....

Coney Island Sauce

1/4 c. oleo (butter or margarine, in modernese ;) )
1 1/2 c. chopped onions
1/4 c. chopped celery
32 oz. tomato sauce
3 T. lemon juice
1 1/2 T. Worchestershire Sauce
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. ground beef (Sorry, folks, overlooked this one. I actually used more, as meat cooks down more than it used to!)

Hot sauce (optional) to taste.

Melt butter (oleo) in a pan and add onion and celery, sautee for 10 min. Add other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min.

I browned my burger first, before adding to sauce. I find its easier to break up this way, so it won't have big clumps.

Worchestershire Sauce= What's That There Sauce...that's what my kids called it when they were little!

Enjoy! Don't deviate from the recipe or you will not get the fine flavor...I tried a few tweaks and it wasn't the same. Mom says you can use a little cornstarch thickener if it turns out too thin, but I didn't have to.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks! Can't wait to try it! Funny about "what's that there sauce" hehehehe!

mgibbzzz

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I browned my burger first, before adding to sauce.
How much do you use? We love coney sauce and I bet dh would die for this!

Michelle

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks beekissed. (And thanks to Heather for nudging!)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
So, it's kind of like a chili? I've never heard of hotdog sauce before.
You poor, deprived thing. :)

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am lucky enough to have grown up in a big family where cooking (and eating:p) is a family affair. My father is one of 14 children and out of those children he has the smallest family with 6 kids. :lol: For holiday baking all of the Aunts, and Cousins as well as my Grandmother, all get together and we rent the kitchen of the Catholic Church in my hometown. It is very large and there are three commercial ovens. We do this on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We decide ahead of time what we are going to make and then each person is responsible to make one double batch of dough if needed. We make about 16-18 different cookies and or treats and we make enough so that each person brings home about 2 dozen of each. I really value the time we spend together and I learn so much from all these ladies!
Now with that being said my father is also a great cook and we still visit often at dinner time. It is not uncommon to show up at Dad's place around dinner time and one of my brothers or sisters will be there with their family too!! But my absolute favorite food of all time is my step mothers homemade sugar cookies. She makes them for every possible occasion. They are so soft and they just melt in your mouth. The frosting has a hint of almond. I have tried to make these many times but they just do not come out as good!

Wow isn't it funny how you can go on and on about food and family!! At least I can! :D