How I Am Celebrating Earth Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Kris - You are right, we each have our own opinions.

However, I do have a right to express my concern - it does not require approval by anyone(as in, it really does not matter to me if anyone disagrees and thinks that I am a lunatic), nor does it require a response. Anyone is welcome to carry on in the thread as they wish, I was simply disheartened by some of the comments.

I also should have clarified that when I said "many of us here are much more environmentally friendly than some", the 'some' was NOT referring to anyone on this forum. The fact that we are all on this forum proves something.

I am not attacking anyone, nor am I belittling, and I am already a fundamentally unlikeable person - I certainly do not expect anyone to cater to my needs, or hold mine above theirs. If my expression of disagreement is belittling, I apologize.

I will say, I was under control and calm when I posted that, and I am currently as I type this.

However I do find some of what you said contradictory based on some of your previous posts.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I apologize and I will leave the forum before I cause any more trouble. Sorry.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, here is where I must confess we didn't even think about it being Earth Day. We spent the day watching the gasoline powered truck begin hammering in our well - and I watched a shih tzu give birth.

That gasoline powered truck that ran all day yesterday is making it possible for us to make less trips to the small local town to the spring for fresh water. Inevitably, that means that less gasoline will be used by us in the very near future.

And honestly, we don't usually recognize Earth day, because we just go on living our lives the way we normally do.

We already recycle as much as we can. We already make every trip we make count as much as possible. We plant a tree every year on our own property for Arbor Day (that's not counting the 300 tree saplings we planted the first two years here).

The kids also plant a pine tree with their daddy on Father's Day in our yard every couple years, too.

When we mow our grass, the clippings are raked up and fed to the geese and ducks and chickens.

We have planted food bearing plants on our property that grow back each year like asparagus, blueberry bushes, raspberries, grapes, rhubarb, and fruit trees.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we already do this on a regular basis, and I don't feel like we need one day to recognize the Earth.

I also believe the Earth was created by One far more powerful than any of us, and I think it's very egotistical to believe that we are powerful enough to destroy what One more powerful than us created.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I apologize and I will leave the forum before I cause any more trouble. Sorry.
Hey! I don't think you should leave!!!!!!!!!!!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we have a billboard around here that says "Every Day is Earth Day For A Farmer"

so i'm in the 'we live that way anyway' bucket with QA.
:)
(but i aint givin up my big gas guzzlin truck)

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I also believe the Earth was created by One far more powerful than any of us, and I think it's very egotistical to believe that we are powerful enough to destroy what One more powerful than us created.
Word. :thumbsup

That said, i think that the one of the great things about getting back to basics and living off the land as much as we can is that doing what benefits us and our personal resources the most also benefits our environment the most.

I rebel against things like "earth day," because of all the personally offensive political agendas attached to it. The politicians who promote things like earth day and such absurdities as global warming use more energy and are more abusive to the environment and wasteful than any of the many "gas guzzling" farmers. :old

And in line with Kris' original theme, i contribute to environmentalism by burning my trash every day. :D I personally feel that burning my burnable trash is a lot more environmentally sound than putting it in a landfill - both germ-wise and environment-wise.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Word. :thumbsup

That said, i think that the one of the great things about getting back to basics and living off the land as much as we can is that doing what benefits us and our personal resources the most also benefits our environment the most.

I rebel against things like "earth day," because of all the personally offensive political agendas attached to it. The politicians who promote things like earth day and such absurdities as global warming use more energy and are more abusive to the environment and wasteful than any of the many "gas guzzling" farmers. :old

And in line with Kris' original theme, i contribute to environmentalism by burning my trash every day. :D I personally feel that burning my burnable trash is a lot more environmentally sound than putting it in a landfill - both germ-wise and environment-wise.
Word! :thumbsup

I agree. Especially the part where you said you "think it's very egotistical to believe that we are powerful enough to destroy what One more powerful than us created."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And...I also agree that burning burnable trash is more environmentally sound that putting it into the ground.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I personally do not find it funny either. Would you smear your bodily waste on the interior walls of your house and then have a good laugh about it? Really? Because it is essentially the same thing, except that we ALL live here and are ALL affected by the actions of those around us . . . and bodily waste is at least biodegradable.

How would your father feel if you walked into HIS house and smeared your bodily wastes on HIS walls? Do you think he would just chuckle and clean it up? That is how I see it, anyway.

Lastly, unless you have a filter on an incinerator, burning trash is not cool. You are just taking the toxic materials and making them air-borne which is WAY worse for your health and the health of those around you. Burning plastics and furniture and the like creates chemicals that cause cancer. Better to let the toxics sit in a pile undecomposed. But it is far better to just not use toxic materials in the first place.

Stepping off my soap box . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.