How I Am Celebrating Earth Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Quoted you both because I agree with you both. VERY well said.

PunkinPeep said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
I also believe the Earth was created by One far more powerful than any of us, and I think it's very egotistical to believe that we are powerful enough to destroy what One more powerful than us created.
Word. :thumbsup

That said, i think that the one of the great things about getting back to basics and living off the land as much as we can is that doing what benefits us and our personal resources the most also benefits our environment the most.

I rebel against things like "earth day," because of all the personally offensive political agendas attached to it. The politicians who promote things like earth day and such absurdities as global warming use more energy and are more abusive to the environment and wasteful than any of the many "gas guzzling" farmers. :old

And in line with Kris' original theme, i contribute to environmentalism by burning my trash every day. :D I personally feel that burning my burnable trash is a lot more environmentally sound than putting it in a landfill - both germ-wise and environment-wise.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
But it is far better to just not use toxic materials in the first place.
That's right plastics are BAD!

I wonder....what is that computer you are using right now made of anyway?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
LOL I don't own it. I don't own a computer because I know all about the toxic stuff in them and what happens to them when they are "recycled." Every computer that I have ever owned (years ago) were all used computers and then they went on to be used again or "recycled" until I found out what happens to them. Now I refuse to own one.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I celebrated by burning all the saved up styrofoam from all my fast food meals and treating my lawn with RoundUp right before it rained.

I took the catalytic converter off all my vehicles and pulled all the old aluminum cookware from the 70s out of storage and will now use them exclusively to cook in.

Oh....and I put in a commercial feedlot operation where my garden used to be and will be letting the manure run off into a slurry pond....I feel this will enrich my soils and purify my ground water better!

:D

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Computers do have lots of nasty stuff involved. At least turn them in to be recycled once you're done with any of the equipment. I think Office Depot takes them.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Computers do have lots of nasty stuff involved. At least turn them in to be recycled once you're done with any of the equipment. I think Office Depot takes them.
Yes, but have you read about what happens to used "recycled" computers. I will give you a hint . . . they end up in China to be dismantled . . . but it is far worse than it sounds. :( When I read about it, I was so disgusted, that I decided to give up on using computers and techno gadgets. I just want no part of it.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We do burn our trash, but we burn stuff like personal mail/papers that we don't want people to be able to read. We burn cardboard, and anything that doesn't have a place at the recycle bin in town.

I cannot honestly say we've never burned styrofoam or plastics, but we really try not to.

I have no problem with people burning papers/cardboard, wood, etc.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
dragonlaurel said:
Yes, but have you read about what happens to used "recycled" computers. I will give you a hint . . . they end up in China to be dismantled . . . but it is far worse than it sounds. :( When I read about it, I was so disgusted, that I decided to give up on using computers and techno gadgets. I just want no part of it.
No part of it?

Me thinks your self-righteousness is a bit mis-guided.....

So.....what is the difference in you OWNING one and USING one?

I say this because you are somehow communicating on this website. A website that likely uses computers to communicate with the rest of the world wide web. There are plastics in those computers.

Also, there are plastics on cell phones, cell phone towers.

There were plastics used in designing these things as well.

So.....You are still contributing to a situation you say YOU have a PROBLEM with.....

So, if techno gadgets are so bad, why are you using them?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't really care about earth day, but I do care that our children and our grandchildren become more in tune to the earth and her needs. I've been overly zealous in my recycling for decades, as was my father who yelled all the time "turn off that light if you're not using it!".

For eight years, I was in charge of the local AYSO snack shack, and after the day was over, went thru the multitudes of garbage cans to recycle the bottles, the cans, the cardboard.....You'd think my kids (now 24 & 19) would have learned from me....but no, they don't care. This generation of self entitled kids are gonna be very difficult to train, and mother earth, regardless of politics, is going to struggle. So sad....

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Me thinks your self-righteousness is a bit mis-guided.....
but thats why we love DM best!!! you go girl! whooot!

i dont even have a iphone and i dont know where my ipod is... all them techno gadgets can just you-know-what-on-off.

what could be more entertaining then a shovel and your imagination!

yay DM!!!
:)

hey Bee - is your styrofoam fire still goin? i got some to burn too..and some tires.. i'll drive my big ol diesel combine shootin pesticide all over the place to your house and we can have a hoootenany!

but first i have to dump a bunch of lead based paint onto the ground.

hooot!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.