Info on dehydrating, shipping and rehydrating kefir grains

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Dace said:
freemotion said:
I don't drink it straight up....bleh!

We had a cop come to our door yesterday and want to come in and look around. Seems that dh was making phone call, called an out of state number, and somehow ended up with the local 911. They have to check out all calls, even misdials.
Come on Free, fess up you are running a kefir crack house aren't you?
:gig Her and BBH both...And then here we both are soon to be getting "envelopes with white stuff" in the mail...:rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
After mailing 3 strange packages full of "white stuff" and a bottle of tainted moonshine, I would have fainted if the po po showed up at my front door!! :th I'm still not out of the woods, so PLEASE let me know the minute that KEFIR and KOMBUCHA get there!!

Then burn my return address! :p

Oh Free, I do sometimes drain my kefir, but really I'm lazy so I don't mind it on the runny side.

And I have been drinking it straight up, same way I like my vodka... :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, BBH, I feel like a delicate flower compared to your straight-up-ness!

Being the innocent that I am, when I answered the door and saw the cop, I figured he had the wrong address. Never thought about my illegal brewery and kefir crackhouse I have going here.....Good thing I have great connections in this state as far as the po-po goes! And my connection is a Mother Earth News fanatic. And related. And widely known and respected. And a righteous cop....oops, that could work against me.... :p

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So BBH....how much kefir do you consume? Right now I am only at 1/2 c in my smoothie, but I am going to up it to a full cup.

I would like some dip ideas too, if anyone has favorites.

Hmmm....actually I will start a recipe thread :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi Dace,

I drink about 1 cup per day. Now that I can't enjoy it with honey, I just chug it to get it over with. What I don't drink I use to top my chicken tortilla soup, chili or faux baked potato (cauliflower with butter and cheese).

I also add it to ranch dressing to make it go farther or you can even make dressing out of it. I just happened to have some store bought ranch that I need to get rid of.

My chickens got some yesterday with a douse of cayenne pepper.

BTW, my kefir is taking longer than 24 hours to finish b/c we keep the house pretty cool in the winter. I'm producing about a glass every other day at the moment.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Wow, BBH, I feel like a delicate flower compared to your straight-up-ness!

Being the innocent that I am, when I answered the door and saw the cop, I figured he had the wrong address. Never thought about my illegal brewery and kefir crackhouse I have going here.....Good thing I have great connections in this state as far as the po-po goes! And my connection is a Mother Earth News fanatic. And related. And widely known and respected. And a righteous cop....oops, that could work against me.... :p
:lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I add garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper, for a simple onion dip. Or some of my fermented Italian dressing garden herb mix, but dried herbs would work. I also make a parmesan peppercorn by mixing half drained kefir or yogurt with half mayo, and adding black pepper, sea salt, and parm or romano cheese.....my favorite!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I also make a parmesan peppercorn by mixing half drained kefir or yogurt with half mayo, and adding black pepper, sea salt, and parm or romano cheese.....my favorite!
I have made this several times and it IS delicious!!!!!!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
BBH....I got my grains! Didn't look quite as I had expected, of course I've never seen them before!

Thank you!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace said:
BBH....I got my grains! Didn't look quite as I had expected, of course I've never seen them before!

Thank you!
Whew! Glad they made it. (Really there is just one in there, the other stuff is powdered milk.)