Is a frugal lifestyle miserable?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
CC since you know it’s coming, just start buying what you need, a little at a time. If you spread it out, it won’t be a big hit all at once. Plus everything you need may not be available and this would give you time to gather it all up and make sure you have everything when you need it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I have only one tractor to deal with but the air filter is almost $30! Bought 5gal hydraulic, 3 gal oil, oil filter & antifreeze (over $175.)....have to buy 2 hydraul filters by spring -- another $85. and spec order. Then truck was $55. oil/filter service. 🥴

Bought gas for $2.89 per this week. At least something went down a little in price.👍

Still no grocery shopping 🙂. Eating well from previous sales stockpiled and preserving at home. Canned!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm happy with the new shovel i bought several months ago. as a bonus when i ding it or scrape it with the knife it rings. it has a harmonic resonance in it. the booger is heavy and doesn't have a very sharp edge on it but it gets the job done and it sings at me... *queue Mrs. Bucket*...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I still have my little 23 HP Kubota, it’s still over at my sons house. Son has 2 old Massey Ferguson tractors. One of them has an add on front end loader, it wasn’t “born” with it. I call it the Frankentractor. :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just realised I don't skimp on some things, I buy power tools new, top quality brands, and firearms I buy new as well. Maybe I can because I skimp on everything else 😄
Yep, son does the same. He lives in a RV, follows jobs, he’s a crane operator. RV is so big, with slide outs, that he had to buy a 1ton dually to pull it with. So he got a F350 King Ranch with everything anybody could think of except a toilet and that’s in the RV. :lol: He bought a new rifle with a thermal scope. Says he’s gonna leave it here for me to shoot coyotes but it hasn’t shown up yet. Probably hard to pry his fingers off his new baby. Don’t blame him. :gig

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here in the spring, for about a week, our NAPA has filters half price. I've seen others have the same deal at different times. I have been broke during the deal then within 2 months have to do oil and fuel filters on the truck. $100 for the oil change and another $100 for the fuel filter doing it myself.
Not promoting Napa but when your doing fuel, air and oil filters on (for me) multiple trucks, multiple welders, tractors, and the wife's car it adds up. And nice to get extras for the work truck at $100 for the fuel filters, if I have the money during the sale.
I wish I could find batteries half off. Using a welding machine battery to start a 7,3l diesel with 15qts of cold oil is not efficient.