Is a frugal lifestyle miserable?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was offered a drill stem entry way at the front gate, $400 welded and installed. I’m thinking I’ll take that deal. I have a few stalks of drill stem and some heavy 4” pipe. Same guy has offered to make me corner braces, using my pipe. I’m thinking I’ve made a good friend.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
As to the thread title, it's going to be miserable here for a while. As mentioned elsewhere, dug into the home finances backlog. The wife did help. It was a stressful day. I am not sure I can have her continue to do the bills. Her ADHD and cognitive function has declined due to her meds.

Didn't find anything horrible, but found several opportunities for savings. Going to need some adjustments

Never a dull moment.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fuel prices last night. E85 (83 ~ 51% tainted corn liquor, remaining % gasoline) $1.95 a gallon. We stopped ofcourse and it was all I could do to get $20.00 in my wife's flex fuel bus.
IMG_20221210_214340416.jpg

Edit... Corrected ethanol percentages

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought E85 was 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline.... goes to show what I know about it.

I could be wrong, it's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again. E85 still smells like corn liquor to me.

Edit... I'll research later and if incorrect I will edit my post.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I could be wrong, it's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again. E85 still smells like corn liquor to me.

you were correct E85 is up to 85% ethanol. if it were E15 then it would be 15% ethanol. and flex fuel can be something else... we don't have a car that can handle any of these other than "regular unleaded" gasoline (which may be blended with ethanol but not usually over 10%).

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
E85 - I was kind of wrong and kind of right. I guess it depends on who is making the decisions... Why call it E85 when it could be e83 ~ e51 at any point in time. 🙄

Screenshot_20221212-134836~2.png

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
E85 still smells like corn liquor to me.
After building ethanol plants for some many years. It's basically the same process with some additives thrown in at the end. Well the same up until the end.

I always wonder how it started getting big. Some moon shiner said this is strong enough to run the lawn mower, (I've known a few that have and did) then some already rich entrepreneur or corn farmer took off with it and made it grand scale.

Also the shiners would never leave it in there or run it for long and clean it out afterwards because it is NOT meant to run in a gasoline or diesel engine. Just flammable/explosive enough to ignite and turn the pistons.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After building ethanol plants for some many years. It's basically the same process with some additives thrown in at the end. Well the same up until the end.

I always wonder how it started getting big. Some moon shiner said this is strong enough to run the lawn mower, (I've known a few that have and did) then some already rich entrepreneur or corn farmer took off with it and made it grand scale.

Also the shiners would never leave it in there or run it for long and clean it out afterwards because it is NOT meant to run in a gasoline or diesel engine. Just flammable/explosive enough to ignite and turn the pistons.
All I know for sure is farm truck doesn't like E85. I tried a couple of gallons man at the pinging and tinging. Mash the gas, get more pings and tings. I DO NOT recommend unless the vehicle is made for it. Farm truck is not.made for E85, wife's flex fuel bus runs just fine on E85 or 87 octane.