JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
smart idea getting those lights up early. your weather must be rough come Dec.

I am also getting excited about the holiday season coming. I am in the mood for that 'good feeling' I get also! :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, after a cup of hot coffee...and waking up, I head to the barn. The grass is crunchy with the heavy frost. None of the animals are stirring...they are all still tucked in warm....as I get to the barn, I can see the steam rising from where the pigs are sleeping under the straw. :p Poor babies....but, as soon as they hear me, they jump up and start screaming for breakfast. LOL Every one fed, and head to the water trough to fill the inside buckets, there is a nice layer of ice on the trough.
99_dsc01876.jpg

YUK, this is only a reminder of what lays ahead. Cold nose...toes, and fingers...I dip in and get the water. Brrrrrrrrr. Everyone is settled with fresh water, and a full tummy...I head back to the house to drop off the milk...and then head to the coops. As I am walking back to the house, I see the smoke rising from the chimney...very inviting!
99_dsc01877.jpg

I rush through the coops, fill feeders and waters...then scurry back to the warmth of a fire.
99_dsc01875.jpg

Ahhhhh...I am now headed to the kitchen to make eggs and pancakes...need a warm breakfast...so we can head back outside, and move some firewood over to the house...and get ready for another cold night!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
smart idea getting those lights up early. your weather must be rough come Dec.

I am also getting excited about the holiday season coming. I am in the mood for that 'good feeling' I get also! :)
It gets a little "chilly" LOL

LOVE your new pic. !!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I loved the description of the grass crunching underfoot and the pic of the ice starting on the water trough.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, Monday morning I was supposed to go to a friends house, and pick up a farm wagon he had given to us. It is "home made" but made well! It has never been tagged...no serial numbers, etc. So I had to have my son follow me to make sure I didn't get pulled over. LOL We get over there, and the guy is not home, and the wagon is not there! UGH! Oh well....some things are not meant to be...i guess...so instead, I went to my sons house, and we all went trick or treating! My grandson had asked me to go with him. He is 11, and taller than I am, so he asked if I would dress up, and actually trick or treat with him. :/ So, I get a black robe, jeans, and the mask from scream..and out we go. I can not believe how much fun we had. We ran from house to house, laughing, and trick or treating. One lady actually told us " Looks like you 2 kids have been eating too much candy, you are hyper, maybe you need to lay off the candy for tonight" THIS of course sent us into a laughing FIT!! We ran down the drive laughing and giggling. After a few hours of walking, I was finished...back to the truck, we rode in the back on the way home. During the ride, my grandson said... " Grandma, thank you for going with me, I had a blast" THAT made my day. Well, that AND all the candy I got! :p I felt like a kid again....haven't felt like that in a long time. :lol:

99_dsc01888.jpg

So, after a GOOD night sleep, LOL Today I had to go get feed...go to CVS, and the bank. On my way into town, I call the guy with the wagon. He said... "meet me there in 10 minutes" OH CRAP!! I was NOT expecting to go get it TODAY! I had to go to the bank, the feed store, and CVS, before 5 and it was already 4:30! Called my son, luckily he was not working, so he could meet me there and follow me home. So, now we have the wagon here at the farm. I am going to call the Sheriff and have them come inspect it, so we can get it titled and tagged. Not that we will ever use it on the road, unless we use it for hay rides next year...but I want it tagged....just in case. The Axel is from a mobile home. The guy had it cut down, rebalanced, and then put a steel bed on it, with wooden sides. It is a sturdy little wagon...but I will paint it to match My Tractor, red and gray.
99_dsc01890.jpg

Now I have to get out there and put away all the feed, milk the goat, and get everyone settled in before dark.
Whew, what a few days!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Snapshot, I am going to try to rework it, to use it for moving livestock. I am going to build up the sides, and put a gate in the middle...so I can separate animals if needed...and use a gate on the back. This will be a winter project...for sure! LOL

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Nice wagon glad you got a freebie! You also have a pretty house!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww, Thanks BarredBuff. Its a work in progress...the house...the inside needs lots of updates...but it is comfortable...even tho it really is small. ( only 2 bedroom and 1 bath) :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Aww, Thanks BarredBuff. Its a work in progress...the house...the inside needs lots of updates...but it is comfortable...even tho it really is small. ( only 2 bedroom and 1 bath) :/
Hmmm its looks bigger than that.......