JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I would have loved to have found some crates like that! Cut a hole in one side, and you have a goat shelter!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I would have loved to have found some crates like that! Cut a hole in one side, and you have a goat shelter!
We did exactly that, x's 3! LOL We have a few shelters like that on the property. One we put together 3 of them, and made a shed for the donkey! He LOVES it!
99_dsc02155.jpg

99_dsc01750.jpg

Here are a few of the crates we have gotten so far.
99_crates.jpg

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those are amazing! Free does not usually equate to aesthetically pleasing, and those shelters are PRETTY,

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, today is the first day I have let the ducks out in months. Well....since I have moved them to their new digs. I am hoping that they will go back in on their own tonight. They sure were happy to be out and running...splashing in CLEAN puddles! Their run is a soupy, goopy mess of mud. I am so ready for dry weather...and warm days!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The ducks didn't just " go back in" we "danced" around the coops a few times before they decided mom might have had enough, and they could tell by the screaming words...ROASTED DUCK, DUCK SOUP....ROAST GOOSE....and a few other words I will not post on here. LOL I am sure after a few times, they will get the routine...I hope. Whew! Wore me out chasing them around. I am sure my neighbor had a good laugh.
Todays spring like weather had everyone kicking up their heels. When I went to do the evening chores..the sheep were hopping straight up in the air! strange little girls.... I had to stop and just watch them frolic in the sun. Then when I went to the goat pen, Suzie was running from one end to the other of her yard....up on the concrete blocks, jumping off, kicking her heals up....she really was enjoying herself, and I had a great laugh.
I had moved the Freedom, ( the mini donkey) and Fred, ( my pygmy buck) out to the east pastures the other day. The grass is green out there and I knew Freedom would enjoy it. He actually let me pet and rub on him!! Progress! When I first got him, I could pet him, then I moved him into the pasture with Fred, and Tulip...he decided he didn't "need me" I guess.....so now he is back in the other pasture, with only Fred...( AKA STINKY) Freedom is happy to let me pet him again. :love I had all the coops doors open wide today.....sure felt good to have fresh air in there. Seems everyone might have a touch of Spring Fever....I know I do!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ahhh, February....a time when spring fever really hits home! The weather was so nice yesterday, I was able to get in the garden and get it cleaned and prepped for early plantings. Beets...lots and lots of beets this year. However, Mother nature is telling me today....Oh, I don't think so! We are going to be in the 30's with high winds, and possible snow. Awwww, COME ON!!! It was almost 70 yesterday!!!! So, I sit here.....dreaming of little beet seeds, cozy in the warm soil....growing into little red balls of deliciousness....filling my pantry. ONE DAY! LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I feel your pain! :D Today is a precursor to spring, with temps in the 60s, birds singing and breezes blowing...but we are waiting for that other shoe to drop as it apparently has at your house, Just.

Weird winter...probably the mildest we can ever remember in this area. But I'm sooooooo ready for spring growing season, new projects, new air in the world. :fl

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
The cold front just came through here this morning. It sounds like everyone at your place has Spring Fever!!!! Hopefully it will stay Springlike soon! I love to see babies kicking up their heels!!!!!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We just had the weird weather this past weekend...70s one day and 6 inches of snow the next 2 and now back up to almost 80 today.....it's enough to make a person crack :barnie

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beets? I love pickled beets. I don't actually knowif I like them any other way. And beet tops. I love beet greens with vinegar.

Latest posts