Lazy Gardener's Little Town Farm

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The ducks have figured out that they can evade being herded back and forth from day time garden moat to night time pred. safe hoop coop. They led me on a merry chase this morning. Of course, I was up and dressed for church... (no real dress up there, just CLEAN clothes!) and they decided that it was time to go on a merry romp. Ducks, running willy nilly around the yard, and detouring around the chicken coop, duck moat, and other obstacles... with drake desperately attempting to complete a dating rendezvous with each of the girls, and me in hot pursuit. I was attempting to entice/chase them into their moat/pool/breakfast area, and they were having none of THAT! By the time I came in for breakfast, I had a tick chomping on my neck.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You must be a true southern boy! Okra is the one vegetable that I've never been able to figure out how to "like". But, I'm glad someone knows what to do with the stuff!!!
FRY IT. That IS what you do with the stuff. Well I suppose you can pickle it and have it on the side or in a salad. I'm going to have to replant some of mine. It didn't come up.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Perhaps I've never had it cooked the right way, even though I've eaten it in Florida before. Maybe it's b/c my NE upbringing can't get over the mental hang up about "fried foods"!!!! I find it to be viscous/gelatinous/slimy.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
/gelatinous/slimy.
It often is. That is one reason some people bread it before freezing it. It's not a slimy mess trying to bread it when it un thaws. Still a mess separating to throw in the fryer. A cast iron skillet with bacon grease or Crisco. Others like it to help bread it.

It may be just a mental block. Like you said about "fried foods". How did you like the sweet tea in FL. I love a good sweet, sweet tea. I've been to restraunts in Georgia that you only ordered a drink if you did NOT want sweet tea.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with you about it likely being a mental block. I hate sweet tea. I find it to be cloying. But, I love iced tea. I like to brew it, then add about 2 tsp. sugar to a TALL glass. However, my most favorite iced tea is Bigelow French Vanilla Decaf. It needs absolutely NO sweetener, and I find the flavor to be sweetly refreshing. I like fried fish, but when it comes to eating batter fried vegetables, I feel as though I am committing some sort of felony! Here, in Maine, folks eat their lobster (and shell fish) with a cup of clarified butter to dip it in. IMO, that ruins an otherwise fantastic treat. I eat mine naked, with just a splash of lemon. (The lobster is naked, not me!)