Looking to move

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is from around Beckley, West Virginia. His family has been there for generations. Hubby says that when they would spend the night at the old homestead house his aunt did most of the cooking on the wood cook stove. He loved the cornbread cooked in that stove.

The kitchen has lots of windows that could be opened, as well as a door. It's attached, but separate from the rest of the house. That helps keep the heat away in the summer.

When last we visited, we drove over and saw the house. It's been well taken care of by the family who several still live right around it. Candles for lights and fireplace on the ground floor for heat. Outhouse was about 100 feet away. There was a pump and well installed back in the 50s and a single pipe run into the kitchen.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is from around Beckley, West Virginia. His family has been there for generations. Hubby says that when they would spend the night at the old homestead house his aunt did most of the cooking on the wood cook stove. He loved the cornbread cooked in that stove.

The kitchen has lots of windows that could be opened, as well as a door. It's attached, but separate from the rest of the house. That helps keep the heat away in the summer.

When last we visited, we drove over and saw the house. It's been well taken care of by the family who several still live right around it. Candles for lights and fireplace on the ground floor for heat. Outhouse was about 100 feet away. There was a pump and well installed back in the 50s and a single pipe run into the kitchen.

Beckley, West Virginia? I was born in between a hill and a holler outside of Davy and Big Jenny, on amountian called Jonnycake West Virginia by a midwife.Your husband and I might just be kin folk.

Davy is way back in the mountains in mcdowell county, follow the 1000 curves rt 16 from Welch and you eventually hit Davy. It's ok to drive to Davy from Welch because the mountain is on the passenger side. But don't drive from Davy to Welch because there's nothing on the passenger side but sheer cliff and the tug river on the bottom.

Davy is a rough place, very rough and I never met Big Jenny and I don't think I want to. My relatives are buried in a cemetry up big Jenny holler. There's only one cemetry back up in there.

My dad and mom moved to northern IL when i was just a few weeks old and that's where I grew up. We vacationed in and around Davy and coalwood when I was a little guy. Back then Davy was a nice place but lack of work and drugs have pretty much destroyed the place now.

Edit
You brought back some fond memories of my grandma. I remember when we would visit, she would wake me up at the crack of dawn and send me out to the hen house to get eggs for breakfast while she cooked up some bacon or fatback and made biscuits. I would then help her by constantly sturring the big pan of milk/flour gravy on her wood stove while she fried up eggs in the bacon or fatback grease. I still make that breakfast every now and then because it's just so good. She had a kitchen just like you discribed lots of windows and a door that led to the main house and a door that led to the outside. I guess my grandma's house could have been considered upscale since it had a two holer outhouse instead of just one:)

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about cooking on a wood stove in the summer?

I was reading on the Lehman's website where someone stuck a small rocket stove inside the wood stove to heat up just the front burn plate on the wood stove without having to stoke the entire wood stove and heat up the kitchen. I know our Amish friends have a outdoor wood stove to cook on during the summer. It's basically on a cement slab with open walls and a roof right off the kitchen. I'm not sure if they only have one stove that they move outside during the summer then back inside during the winter or not though.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/pioneer-princess-wood-cookstove
Screenshot_2018-10-24-23-47-58.png

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Your Amish friends could be good for advise on wood stoves when you move..

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your Amish friends can tell you where to buy one.

Beckley -- my fam is from Parkersburg & Elizabeth...same general area. (I was born in Parkersburg) Yep wood stove, kero lamps, no power, outhouse, rope & bucket into well! I loved it but, not volunteering for it long term now. It is a lot of work to cut wood, heat water, etc.

My grandma made biscuits & bread to die for! Wood stove in kitchen. They had a "room" dug into the hillside behind the house for a cellar! The other grands had a house fronting on hill, back on downside with a basement below....outhouse down hill from that. Those were in higher class & had gas room heaters & stove...even electric after a while.

It's amazing that so many of current lives don't even know how to live without electric and modern appliances. Truly, I believe the refer would be my most missed, at first. Uh, until laundry had to be done. That is work!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's amazing that so many of current lives don't even know how to live without electric and modern appliances. Truly, I believe the refer would be my most missed, at first. Uh, until laundry had to be done. That is work!

What would happen to our youth with no hand held devices upon which to play senseless games?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your Amish friends can tell you where to buy one.

Beckley -- my fam is from Parkersburg & Elizabeth...same general area. (I was born in Parkersburg) Yep wood stove, kero lamps, no power, outhouse, rope & bucket into well! I loved it but, not volunteering for it long term now. It is a lot of work to cut wood, heat water, etc.

My grandma made biscuits & bread to die for! Wood stove in kitchen. They had a "room" dug into the hillside behind the house for a cellar! The other grands had a house fronting on hill, back on downside with a basement below....outhouse down hill from that. Those were in higher class & had gas room heaters & stove...even electric after a while.

Small world. DH is from Parkersburg, WV. DOB 1956

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What would happen to our youth with no hand held devices upon which to play senseless games?

Son in law said with all the political discord now adays that he thought we were headed for a civil war. I laughed at him and said there ain't gonna be no civil war, that would require people to get off their smart phones and get outside. Then I said, now if you could develop a civil war app you might become a millionaire! Sad but true!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you successfully get a contract on this property, it would be at least a year to clear & build? Or would you live in a camper and work it while there? Guess you'd keep 2 properties going for a while, at least.

When I built this one, I bought a used little camper trailer to live in here while I built. Was on site to make sure contracted people worked, I did most interior finishing once framed out, etc. Occasionally I'd go into town and spend a night at the condo home, do some packing, etc. Then turned that over to buyers and stayed at farm to finish the house & moved in. It's an experience. :D I'd been working in/with construction for several years, so knew what I had to know for permits, inspections, contracts & materials. Already had all the needed wholesale supplier accounts, etc. Not something I'd want to do again, now -- but could muddle thru. Been almost 20 years.