Looking to move

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter when will you know if you are going to buy this place? I'm kinda exited for you guys and keeping my fingers crossed here. This sounds like it can be amazing!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll keep your fingers crossed and toes too. I'll find out if my bid has been accepted the afternoon of Nov 1st.

Here's an arial and I marked several food plots and a spot for a lake already. Like I said mature wooded area with a creek and about 1/2 mile off a one lane road with a dirt road easment. Big foot stomping ground.

IMG_20181029_231110.jpg

Little wider view neighbors bottom left (south west corner) and more neighbors upper right (north east corner) both are farmers. Where you see lines on the east side those are either wet weather creeks (drainage) that dumps into the sprung fed creek called Sugar Creek. The one.lane easment is on the bottom left heading east the curves left to the north and stops at the high bank of sugar Creek. It's pretty flat the were have a picture of an.apple and milk jug. There is a small apple orchard there and.also.a.small.barn.where.someone had raise cows at one.time.a.long time ago.

The best home sit that I seen while hiking the property was just on the east side of the easement road. Its' high and flat there. And.a.long ways down to to sugar creek. Best I can tell from GIS the.possible homested sight height is 630 sugar Creek is about 100' below that. There is a pretty nasty.clif to.get down to.Sugar creek.

IMG_20181030_002423.jpg
IMG_20181029_231110.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you successfully get a contract on this property, it would be at least a year to clear & build? Or would you live in a camper and work it while there? Guess you'd keep 2 properties going for a while, at least.

When I built this one, I bought a used little camper trailer to live in here while I built. Was on site to make sure contracted people worked, I did most interior finishing once framed out, etc. Occasionally I'd go into town and spend a night at the condo home, do some packing, etc. Then turned that over to buyers and stayed at farm to finish the house & moved in. It's an experience. :D I'd been working in/with construction for several years, so knew what I had to know for permits, inspections, contracts & materials. Already had all the needed wholesale supplier accounts, etc. Not something I'd want to do again, now -- but could muddle thru. Been almost 20 years.

I live in rural southern IL, there are no building permits or inspections required. Another one of the many reasons I wanted to move here.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this! Hopefully the perfect place will come up for you guys soon.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate when that happens! It is tough to take when you get all excited about the place. I know you will find an even better place, maybe even a place with a fenced garden area!

We were the "high" bidders for the place we have now. Seller had a 40 acre homestead and was willing to split it. We offered to buy 25 acres plus the house with an option to buy the rest of the property when we sold our house in Wyoming. The other bidders only wanted 10 acres and the house; 10 acres is as small as you can go for rural ag-zoned property in our county. The seller received 2 offers on Saturday, the first day she had it "officially" listed for sale. DH was the second on e to see it and she had 8 viewings on that first day. We didn't find out until Monday that we got it. I never even saw it until the day before we signed for the sale 3 months later and didn't move in until 5 months later.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm looking at 120 acres, plus a weathered in log house. The house is completely unfinished inside. Roof, doors, windows, wood burner are in however. It's in Alaska, on a large lake, with spectaculr views, accessable via float plane, 4 wheeler or snowmobile, with no niehbors for miles in any direction. If you want to visit me, you'll have to skydive in until I cut a 4 wheller trail into the nearest town :lol

Last edited: