Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Glad to hear you guys are back up and running!!! :hugs

.....just shoot the dam^ pig already..... :lol:

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I GOT THE PIG ON THE TRUCK ALL BY MYSELF TODAY!!! :celebrate
I went out this morning and set the ramp up and baited it with donuts and, with a lot of patience, got her up the ramp and in the truck! Then we drove the 1.5 hrs to take her to the butcher. Next time we are going to do the butchering ourselves, for sure!! When we got to the butcher they had a man meet us around back with an electric fork and he was stabbing her and stabbing her trying to get her out of the back of the truck. She was squealing and shaking the truck and my kids were scared. It was terrible! Then after she got out of the truck and into the holding area, I was packing the kids back in the truck and before we could get out of there he went into the holding area and started stabbing her some more. I could here her squealing as I was trying to get out of the parking lot as fast as could and talking to the kids really loud so they didn't hear. They were both very sad when we left and it took all I had not to start crying. It's not so much the fact that I raised her from a little piglet as it was to see her treated like that! I'm tearing up just thinking about it. I wish I would've know they were going to do that! I hope they went ahead and killed her quickly. Next time, if there is a next time, we will treat the pig with the respect it deserves, all the way until the end! I can't even imagine what they do to commercially raised livestock.....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Not a fan of "meat markets" myself.
There is an episode in All Creatures, that has to do with putting a horse down. The owner wanted it done when the horses hears were "pricked".
The used the "humane killer" right after the horse was treated to the bugle call and the dogs howling. He thought he was going in a hunt, so was happy, and focused on other things.
No fear, no fuss.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh geez. honey thats just awful. sorry.
:-(

if it makes you feel better the local guy doesnt do that here (our neighbors take there's in) - and he's really sensitive to having kids around and waits until the family has left.

but yes, you can and should butcher at home and no it wont be like that. when you have control of the situation its over very quickly.

and its ok if you need to have a good cry - i think that would be upsetting for anyone. sorry baby.
:-(

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sounds like a boat full of bad karma waiting for those types. Yikes. A little respect for something giving its life so you can eat would be more appropriate.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Big Hugs!!! I bawl like a baby every time I butcher a rabbit... and it's super quick... they are munching on grass then it's over.... I would cry even harder if it was bad like that! you poor thing!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:hugs Start now, and you'll find someone to come to you for next year. It will be so much better. Meanwhile, have a glass of wine (if you imbibe) and read/watch something silly and distracting....that works for me, anyways!

Then in a few days, start to focus on the bacon!!!! We have recipes!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's terrible. I would have complained to the management. :hugs

But congratulations on getting the pig into the truck all by yourself!