My Greenhouse Construction Thread (picture heavy)

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well it hasn't been a good past week and a half. While the Dr told me I would be walking with loose sneakers within a day and fine within 3 days, that hasn't been the case. The intensity and duration of post surgical pain and swelling has basically kept me off my feet except for necessities and totally without being able to wear a shoe on this foot. So, it goes without saying, nothing new has been done with the greenhouse, or with my gardens in general. I have an appt on Monday to get the bandages off and stitches out. I am hoping for better after that. Seedlings for all my veggies are probably out of the question at this point and I will wind up buying many organic starts at our local nursery...something I didn't want to do this year. I do, however, plan on starting other seeds for peppers, egg plant and a few other things that just don't seem to do well in a regular garden here in the Poconos. I sit here typing, looking at my unfinished greenhouse...still needing to run the electric, put down the slate floor, build the benches, and get some seeds started...and I try to picture in my mind's eye how great it will look....when I can get back out there.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, do what you can, when you can and don't beat yourself up over it. Things will get better and plants can be bought -- you can do some things in there for the Fall. Next Spring it will be full of new starts!!!:thumbsup

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, thanks, Denim Deb and Mini Horses!

Today was just too beautiful to spend inside no matter how much my foot is still hurting. So, I wrapped it up, carved out the front of an old pair of sneakers and headed out. I didn't last long, but long enough to clean up 2 raised beds, add some peat moss, chicken poop and Black Kow. I was able to get parsley, basil, green onions (scallions), red freckle romaine and Bibb lettuce seeds into the ground. I am paying for it now, but I am feeling like I got something done today. And, while I did this, my SO got the electric run from the shed to the greenhouse. Tomorrow, another visit to the DR. Bandages and stitches are to come out. Wish I felt optimistic, but my toe looks horrible. Still, all purple with a big blood blister right above the incision. Why do Dr's always tell you the recoup time is much faster than it is in real life...or, am I just getting older??? :old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you weren't able to get back to work as soon as you'd hoped. When I had both of my heel spurs done at the same time I was in a wheelchair for three months! I don't think I walked totally pain free for a year. I didn't want to tell you that before you had surgery because I didn't want you to worry....but....heel spur surgery isn't the 'cake walk' that some folks make it out to be. Now, having said that:

Congrats for getting out there and getting anything at all accomplished!!

I don't think your recovery will be nearly as hard as mine, at least you have ONE good foot to hobble around on.

Good luck and I hope everything gets better faster!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you frustratedearthmom. I don't do "sick" well...I guess like most men. I am frustrated, disgusted and depressed, and trying to fight all three. This is absolutely the worst time of year to be sidelined. I just wish Drs would tell you the best case and worst case scenarios and not just the best. He said I would be walking with a loose sneaker within a day and be back to normal within 3 days. I don't like it when things don't go as planned, and I have no control over it....is that a little too much like a man, too? :hu ;)

Edit: 3 hours later. Saw the Dr. He said I am a "bleeder" and that is why my foot is taking longer to heal. With the bandages off, I could see the toe and all the way back to my arch is purple. He said because of the post-surgical bleeding I am experiencing much more tenderness and stiffness in the toe joints and surgical sight than the average person, and I just have to wait some more time....might be a few more days, might be a week before I feel significantly better. Stiches came out without even a pinch. No more plastic bag over the foot in the shower(!), but more rest, more ice. Think I'll put on my "toeless" sneaker on and do a few things outside before the rain hits here tonight and tomorrow. That ice can wait until later this afternoon.

Last edited:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, a very overcast day...and tomorrow is supposed to rain, but we got a little more done with the greenhouse.

I attached the two automatic roof openers.
roof-closer.jpg

Put the trim (wind guards) around the two entrances.
door-trim.jpg

And, began laying down the slate.
slate-1.jpg

slate-2.jpg

With the slate laid over 6+ inches of rock dust I should have a good source of thermal mass when it cools down at night.

We also got a few more things done around the backyard.

Repotted 8 heirloom tomato plants and 3 pepper plants into cow pots.
plants.jpg

Planted 4 hanging baskets and hung them along the chicken coop and run.
flowers-2.jpg

And, finished "sealing off" the immediate backyard from any critters that have intentions of eating any of our plants in raised gardens.
fence.jpg

Tomorrow looks like a rainy day, so I am glad we got this done.

More next week.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you got all that done when you're having problems w/your foot, I can only imagine what you can do when you're 100%! Looks good.

Latest posts