Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whoa! Tall order, Bee. o_O :sick

If I think of something, or come across something, I'll post. I'm sure others here will too. :caf

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Whoa! Tall order, Bee. o_O :sick

If I think of something, or come across something, I'll post. I'm sure others here will too. :caf

I know! But...I need it, so I have to come up with something by November when it's butchering time. I'm going to see how small a block and tackle system I can get at TSC and see if I can't fashion something with that.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okay, general ideas... (Putting your little system together will depend on specific factors in your situation. That's where your imagination comes into play.)

For a puller, I’d forget the small block & tackle idea if you can afford an inexpensive “come along”. Such as: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5541-...1506354454&sr=1-3&keywords=ratchet+come+along

I once bought one at a yard sale for ten or fifteen bucks. Just as with the block & tackle idea you had, you’d need to secure the end of the come along to something solid.

For holding the neck, I’d maybe think in the direction of a pipe vise (the least expensive model that can do the job for you). There are a couple of main designs of these. You certainly do not need anything expensive, and again I bought one of the "chain clamp" type for a few bucks once.

A pipe vise could be mounted into the top of a solid tree stump of, say, 24 -30 inches high, using lag bolts (say, 3” long). The puller could be mounted to the trunk of a nearby tree, etc. Or you could work out a way to mount both onto a solid wooden bench dedicated for the skinning task.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The come along would be great....though I didn't want to spend that much money on it, I may break down and do so.

I have a vice already mounted on my picnic table/work bench in the yard and was going to add some kind of "teeth" on the gripper plates so I won't have to buy a new vice...they are a tad pricey. This is the table on which I butcher anyway.

So far you are thinking along the lines I am also, so that's a good feeling. Means I'm not totally cra-cra. :D

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The come along would be great....though I didn't want to spend that much money on it, I may break down and do so.
Look around. There may be better deals than that Amazon price.

Of course it's always a matter of time, place, and good fortune. But knowing the usefulness of certain tools and equipment is what's needed to find the truly useful 2nd-hand bargains at yard sales, flea markets, pawn shops, etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Agreed. I just found a come along for $5 on a FB Market place but the seller is too far away from me to make it a good deal. I'd use more in gas getting there and back than I would if I bought one new.

I'll check the Habitat store this week and see what they have.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Look around. There may be better deals than that Amazon price.

Of course it's always a matter of time, place, and good fortune. But knowing the usefulness of certain tools and equipment is what's needed to find the truly useful 2nd-hand bargains at yard sales, flea markets, pawn shops, etc.

Joel...what about a winch?

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpow...F8&qid=1506474064&sr=8-1&keywords=small+winch

Would that be easier to work than a come along? I like the idea of cranking instead of ratcheting but would one have more pull power over the other and give more ease on my own part? I like the crank handle as it seems like it would be quicker and I could mount that on the picnic bench pretty easily.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just talked to a buddy of mine and he votes for the winch. What say you, @Joel_BC ?
I think a hand-cranked winch should also have a lot of pulling power ("mechanical advantage"). So as far as I can see, it would come down to: which would you personally prefer? how available is one or the other? and, what's the relative affordability?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've used a come along before but not a winch....I think I'd prefer the winch as it seems faster. And the winch is cheaper than the come along and possibly more versatile....could use it along with our block and tackle to hoist deer up in the tree for skinning.

I'm going to order that winch from Amazon...after watching and reading reviews on it, it seems the perfect thing. I have a pulley on hand that could even increase the ease of it all for me, though I may not need it. I'll try it with and without.

After I get it all set up I'll kill a chicken and do a run through. Work out the kinks, if any, and do another. When I get it working smooth, I'll do a video and post it.