MY NEW HOME

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's FH and our newest addition, Savage (should have been named THUMPER though). He was given to us on Thanksgiving night. We don't know his exact age but thinking he is 3-4 months old nor do you know his breed. I just know he is very attached to me already.

Attachments

• IMG_20221124_201625790 (1).jpg
    IMG_20221124_201625790 (1).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 120

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you @Trying2keepitReal and @tortoise for the ideas. Mostly it's when I have to go the restroom or in the kitchen to finish dinner. I will remember to use a sweatshirt or shirt when I have to put him in his crate when I go someplace.
I just want him to know he is loved and not going anywhere.
A friends father in law found the pup on his property about a month or so ago. There was no Mama with him or his brother (friends brother has Savage brother) and don't even know who dropped them off or exactly when. I HATE people who are like that to animals, it disgusts me how people can do that!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@tortoise What is lick mats? I'm asking seeing how I have never heard of them.
I can honestly say Savage is doing really good with house breaking. I'm really trying to keep him on a routine of when it's potty time and rewarding him with puppy training treats when he does his business outside. Sometimes he even sits to get an extra treat. FH is leaving all Savage training up to me

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We smoke meat! We have a smoker in the garage and then one on the deck off the house, which is semi-enclosed so we don't have many issues with wind. DH smokes just about anything, makes a really good egg bake in the smoker
I had the same issue last year when I had it out in the yard but then towards the end of summer/ beginning of fall (Autumn) I moved it to under a pavillion (wooden structure with a roof and NO side walls) thinking the weather wouldn't be a big issue but I guess I thought wrong. I told Kevin (my fiance) that we should hang some of the black cloth up along some of the posts and see if that helps break the wind but so far he doesn't think it would work. I know when we're finally able to get our new home I want to put some type of wind break around it.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One suggestion is to have a house that is one floor. The older you get, the harder it is to deal with stairs. Yes, they are good exercise...but if you have joint problems, they can be challenging. If you have any physical problems in the future, stairs can make it impossible. Wheelchairs, walkers, crutches.... not stair friendly.
Even in Va, having access to the house from a carport/garage etc is nice; a mud room/entry room is really nice in cold, wet, snowy type weather....
@Mini Horses is right. Credit and cost is first... and I fully agree with the writing a list and then finding agreed on desires.... you will both have to make some compromises. If you are primary cook, you need to have greater vote on kitchen... possible "separate" rec/lounge/man cave/craft-sewing rooms... rather than one big "family room"....
master bedroom with attached bath.... possible both shower and tub?
You really do need to come up with lists and first find what you both AGREE ON.... be positive first...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They installed a chair rail lift for my grandmother and it made the house much more usable for her. Especially since it was an older house and the bathroom was upstairs. They are definitely an option... but a main floor bedroom and bathroom is a real plus.
Still like the idea of making a list of what you both WANT out of new house... even a list of what you DON'T WANT, will find common ground...