MY NEW HOME

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Well, I can't have chickens or any other type of "farm animal" where I'm moving to because we are right in a town but I surely am going to have a garden ( a raised one OR a container garden) next year so that way I can learn how to do canning and won't be spending lots of money on fresh (even though not how fresh the veggies are at the store) veggies. Sure I could buy veggies from farm stands but those are more expensive than the stores. I also can vacuum sealer veggies for the freezer if I don't want to can them seeing how I was gifted a cheap version of a Food Saver for Christmas last year.
rabbits, guinea pigs, and button quail are easy to conceal or have as "pets" ;) You can do a lot SS without livestock, don't let anyone tell you differently!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Well, I can't have chickens or any other type of "farm animal" where I'm moving to because we are right in a town but I surely am going to have a garden ( a raised one OR a container garden) next year so that way I can learn how to do canning and won't be spending lots of money on fresh (even though not how fresh the veggies are at the store) veggies. Sure I could buy veggies from farm stands but those are more expensive than the stores. I also can vacuum sealer veggies for the freezer if I don't want to can them seeing how I was gifted a cheap version of a Food Saver for Christmas last year.
Are there specific ordinances prohibiting fowl?

Even some of the larger cities around here permit up to 6 female chickens, but no roosters.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll have to discuss it with FH cuz I had told him at one point (a few months ago maybe even last year) I would like to have a little homestead (chickens, maybe a beefer and milk cow plus a small garden) and his replpy was "we're too old to start farming now"
I bet I got y'all beat. I'm 67, just bought 25 acres that needs all new fencing. Fencerows are all grown up and lots of work to do here. Don't tell ME I'm too old.

I'm guessing that y'all have closed and you are now moving!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
He is so cute!!! I love him!
Me too! He's my buddy. I can't get out of his sight at all without him crying and if FH is home he tries to reassure Savage I'll be back soon but Savage doesn't want to hear it just wants to see me

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thank you @Trying2keepitReal and @tortoise for the ideas. Mostly it's when I have to go the restroom or in the kitchen to finish dinner. I will remember to use a sweatshirt or shirt when I have to put him in his crate when I go someplace.
I just want him to know he is loved and not going anywhere.
A friends father in law found the pup on his property about a month or so ago. There was no Mama with him or his brother (friends brother has Savage brother) and don't even know who dropped them off or exactly when. I HATE people who are like that to animals, it disgusts me how people can do that!
Your pup should be okay if he really is 3 - 4 months old. Puppies under 10 weeks old don't have permanent fear learning. Chances are pretty good he won't have long term effects from his time on his own. 👍

For now you can save his favorite treats and chews for those short periods of separation. I'm a huge fan of lick mats!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
TBH, I'm lazy, so sometimes I just shove paper packing material in a kennel and toss a scoop of kibble in there. Some people make "busy boxes" out of toilet paper tubes that have the same effect. Or save paperboard boxes and smear a little dab of peanut butter in there and let the dog shred the box to find the treat. Lots of free and cheap ways to achieve the same effect. I'm just partial to licky mats because they're easy to load, use, and wash.