NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lilly's babies!
20180226_111309.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That doeling has the most amazing color. But, I'm selling her. Color doesn't fill the milk pail, and being short on space I can't justify keeping her just because she's cute! She'll sell quickly to a pet home, I'm sure!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got my cheese and yogurt cultures in the mail today!! Patty's kids will be 2 weeks on Monday, so I'm going to separate at night and milk in the morning. They're big and growing great! The buckling nibbles on hay! Lilly's are growing fine but not as sturdy so I'll leave her alone for a bit longer.

Peppermint and bucklings are going tomorrow. She's been smashing the cattle panels between her stall and the other girls, and she's bleeding. She's such a psycho idiot. Sheesh! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeze Louise - Peppermint is a loon, lol. But, sounds like she'd defend her kiddos if the need arose - not an awful trait in general - just awful for a domestic animal in a limited space.... silly girl.

Cool on milking! Can't wait to see how it goes for you. What kind of machine will you be using - think I remember you got new tubing for it? Hope it goes good!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I think she would too. She isn't like, a great mom... But she's moderately attentive and lets them nurse lol.

It's a homemade, patched together, homesteader specialty lol. We bought a milk machine off ebay before we knew we needed a claw and inflations so it was constant air flow. Then I found out that was bad. The seller said it couldn't be modified and his goats are fine, whatever. We ordered a claw and silicone inflations elsewhere and DH made it work! Haven't used it yet though. Might hand milk until I have more does to milk. So much to wash. It depends on how well she'll stand!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool! I betcha it'll be fine. When I first started I used one of those that works off a brake bleeding tool and tubing and syringe cups... I was careful with it and didn't hurt any body. I'd milk by hand a lot, but whenever I needed DH to milk for me - it was a lifesaver!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep this had syringe cups too. I have a hard time hand milking. For one, Lilly and Patty have little teats (Yeah Patty is very Nigerian! Nice udder otherwise though!), and I have issues with my hands. Plus I have big hands. Mimosa has much better teats for hand milking, and I can't wait to see her udder! She's due mid March!