NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought a ewe with a torn ear and ear tag. The tag came out. I think tattoos would be much better.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah they're not registered so can't tattoo them. I'm gonna go with neither!

I'm starting to feel overwhelmed, the baby goats need to go. And Patty needs to too. DH wants to keep her but I said no, I can only handle so much and with what's looking like a drought year we can only afford so much hay. I have 11 goats and I need to get down to 5. We're keeping 2 wethers for meat, that's fine. They'll be gone before winter. And the turkeys need to go this weekend, even if we drop them off at the guy's house ourselves! DD2 is a good baby but very not independent (though she's usually good in a stroller). So it's really hard when DH is working all the time. And DD1 and her ADHD. Oy! The pigs are the least stressful thing here! Good thing we're keeping 'em!

Also, my dogs bark ALL THE TIME. At EVERYTHING. Leaves fall? Bark. My phone dings that I got a text? Bark. The neighbor starts his truck? Bark. Pig makes a noise? Yeah you get the point. And they're inside dogs so guess who gets her naps interrupted all the time.

I'm done now. I'm just in a mood.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel overwhelmed, the baby goats need to go. And Patty needs to too.
Oh no.... you've got a lot on your plate for sure! Maybe people are reluctant to buy any goats right now with an impending drought. That's one of the reasons I'm selling down - even though our drought might be broken this weekend.

Barking dogs would drive me crazy. Interrupted naps for the little one are not good...I don't have any helpful ideas either... I'm no help at all.

When I get in that kind of mood (and it happens more than I like) I just keep telling myself it's all temporary....it'll pass... and then I drink a lot of wine! :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just keep telling myself it's all temporary....it'll pass... and then I drink a lot of wine! :)

Wine can make a lot of things seem ok...:lol:

Maybe you could put the dogs into an outside pen when it's naptime.

Is ADHD inherited? :hide Have the dogs become more noise/bark prone since DD2? I'm wondering if they are in a higher "protection" mode.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wine gives me migraines, but I like beer! Lol

Yes ADHD is inherited to some extent. You should see my husband. I have some ADHD traits but he's super ADHD.

My mutt Lui barks more when my husband is home, because my husband's friends always stop in. And he assumes everything is someone stopping in. Clara the alano has been barking nonstop all day at nothing and getting him going. She never was very protective, just reactive. I think she has ADHD!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Update on my eggs! FEM sent me a dozen orpingtons eggs. No. She sent DD eggs. Lol. 4 were smashed by the USPS, my post office had to clean egg off the floor, lol! Candled today, day 7 cause I'm impatient... 3 had nothing but it looked like maybe something going on in the other 5. Hope so!! I'll leave them alone for 10 days and candle one more time.

So... We were gonna go get a pig tomorrow but, she's missing. He is trying to catch her for us but she is in hiding... Oops!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope, hope, hope they develop for DD! So bummed that some were crushed - and after that I didn't have much hope for them. They obviously had a traumatic journey, lol.

Geeze, sure hope the pig shows up! Hopefully she'll get hungry and come back.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping for the best!!

Apparently she is eating the grain he leaves out for her, so she's coming back at night must be. He had sold off all his pigs because he had a car accident and had to have back surgery. The people he sold her to had to give her up so he took her back. He thinks she's mad at him!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He needs to set up some kind of trap for her - but I know that's easier said than done - especially if he's just had back surgery. Poor fella!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah that's his plan, if he can manage. DH would go help him set it up if we didn't live an hour and a half away!