Ohiofarmgirl'sAdventuresinTheGoodLand-where ya been? whatcha been doin

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
there is much rejoicing in the streets this morning:

1. Dog#2's raccoon worms are GONE

2. i did not have to burn down the house yesterday

3. i have a dozen donuts (whoops not so many now) at my elbow

so yesterday i went to civilization. i had to take one of the cats - Little Mo to the vet - he had a weird scratchy spot and i was terrified that he had ringworm... and with all these cats, dogs, us, etc... if thats what it was the only thing we could have done was burn down the house to get rid of it.

when we first got there none of the vet techs would even come in the room with us and then the vet marched in boldly, checked him out and declared it "was safe"... then they all came in and ooohed and aaaahed over how cute Little Mo is....and he is - you've met him before here:
http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/09/adorable-kitten-pix.html

then they did the fecals on the two huge bags of dog poop i brought - and had to smell the whole hour i was driving in - and Dog#2's raccoon worms are GONE! and so is the cocci.

so i told the vet all the horror stories - and everyone's EXTREMELY comforting reminders about the episode of House - and the vet said that ALL round worms can do that (migrate thru the body/get in your eye/be transferred to people).

so i stood there and gave him the old "you mean to tell me i've been worked up for THREE WEEKS OVER NOTHING"

and he laughed and nodded. so we had a good laugh and he told me to keep all the dogs regularily wormed with fenbendazole which is what we use for the goats.

and then i made an apptment for Kai to get fixed. there will be a LOT of drinking that day. since they know we are "high maintenance" i think they are going to let me bring her home the same day. i asked if i coudl just wait in the office and drink tequila out of the bottle but they said i had to go home. could i sit in the truck in the parking lot and drink tequila out of the bottle? no. so anyway we'll work out the logistics later.

anyway

i thought for sure Little Mo would have an epic breakdown during the exam - but apparently he loved all the attention and didnt even meow once. so i took all his anxiety upon myself...paid the bill .....and drove directly to the donut shop and loaded up the big truck with deep fried goodness.

and thats what happened yesterday.

happy tuesday everyone!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Great news!!!

We dealt with ringworm twice, btw, and it is not so horrible. I brought it home once (probably from handling money working at McD's as a teen), and a stray kitten brought it in once. With the kitten, I found a home for the kitty before we saw symptoms and then my little siamese showed signs. When I brought him to the vet they shut the lights off and pulled their brand new black light out of the box (it was in the early 80's!) and the poor little cat glowed florescent green on every spot of fungus! They called the entire staff into the room and everyone oooo'd and ahhhh'd.....not in a way I liked to hear! It was very cool, though.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep they brought out the light and also did a scraping.. whew!

i love this vet b/c he likes to "talk shop" with me... i honestly cant decide if they like it that we know so much .... or if we bother them b/c we want all the details and can quote side effects and dosages for different medications.

i'm a total vet nerd on top of everything else!

i think he likes my funny stories tho. we laughed about the possibility of the bee hives being tumbled over by bears and decided that the next crazy thing we'd get is "bear lice" or some other such thing.

in the meantime i should go and get the bounty off the heads of all raccoons in the tri-county area.

;-)

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad that everyone is ok.

Did you get much rain? It ended up not being too bad here. We did get some heavy rain but nothing like other people seem to be getting. It was windy but not bad either. I was glad. Certainly didn't need another barn flood.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Regular roundworms can migrate to the eyeballs? :pop Gosh, learn something every day. Interesting that the websites I read did not point out this fact. Maybe they are like the media, gotta keep you reading and if they dispel your fears who would stop watching the news? With all the worms I've seen I would have thought I'd have seen some eye-ball migration.....oh well, I guess I'll count myself lucky on that. :sick

I bet your vet loves you, you are probably a most interesting client. You are probably much more on their intelligence level than most clients, and interested in animals in the way that they are. Lots of folks are like hubby, they don't want to "know" anything except how to get out of there quickest with the smallest bill and not see anything gross. I always try to get the most knowledge out of it that I can for my money. Course you might run if they tried to say the word plac.....oops....I mean......certain un named words regarding reproductive waste.:hide

So how is the bacon holding up? Do you get a year's supply?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
dude! i very nearly puked up my donut on my key board! ha! and yeah i'm shoveling another one in - chocolate/chocolate with a big ol' glass of Nibbles' milk!

but thanks for not saying the "P" word
;-)

and yep we had some good laughs about different "gross worm stories" - he had the heartworm infestation in a dogs leg....i had the fluke worm my old lady cat puked up in my house. oh.. good times...

i may have told you the story about he and i had the "i could NEVER do that" conversation? he told us that he could NEVER butcher an animal for food...and we looked at him like he had lobsters growing out of his ears and we said "but you do surgery! we could NEVER do that!"

and it was all very funny until we had to do the bumblefoot surgery on one of our hens.

ha!

never say never for sure.

Little Mo just came and got up on my lap and said he wants to go and see the "nice ladies" again. the staff thought he was adorable.

oh!... in the office there is a red headed gal who reminded me of you. i thought it was fun for me to "see you" in action. hee hee

;-)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Totally jealous of the donuts...but I need to hate donuts right now because my pants are tight!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My best role in veterinary was when I was the phone person. Getting the folks to come in for advice from the vets, being the greeter and getting the pets ready for the vet to come in.

Ringworm is not so horrible, Freemotion is right. It can spread if you let it go unchecked and it is a pain with cats because of their fear of baths. I don't particularly like ringworm. Blacklights at home will show you the same thing they see with the green glow.....but not all ringworm glows so it isn't 100 percent. But if you suspect it and have a blacklight you can sometimes diagnose it at home and buy that antifungal stuff yourself at the store for a few dollars.

It is funny when people think their animal has ringworm they have NO PROBLEM calling that vet office. Strikes fear in people's hearts. I used to calm people down and say yes, it is contagious but not serious...it is just a rash you put a cream and a bandaid on. There are other home remedies for ringworm too.

I think people get used to doing what they do and it becomes normal to them. To me, having seven or eight large dogs live in the house with me is normal. For my mother, one large dog would be too much.

Kai will do great with the spay. Sometimes they just sleep that first night so if she has to stay over don't stress too much. They are mostly in a groggy fog. If they are hesitant about letting you take her home, tell them you have a friend who truly can call herself one of the "spay cadets" of Washington state. We have proudly done the after care for well well over 200 dogs after spay-neuter.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Donuts and worms in one topic? :sick

Hey Missy, we hear a lot about your crazy animal antics, but how about your garden? You don't post much about that.

I started some earth boxes in this crappy- soil-rental of ours and I am jonesin' for garden stories and pix!

Glad to hear that little Mo is fine and that those coon worms are gone :sick
:hugs