Our President is a Nobel Laureate

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey guys - i've been gone all day, are we still on this?

i aint got no hatin' for Obama for winning - i think the Nobel guy said it was about the hope he was generating...which may or may not be a way of saying "at least he's not Bush." so does he "deserve" it? who know.. i think its nice they are donating the loot to charity and that shows some character.

2dream
I don't know what I am a conservative liberal? LOL is there such a thing?
i think that makes you purple - kinda Blue and kinda Red
;-)

happy saturday everyone!
-OFG

Grumpy Pumpkin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Super point FarmerChick, he did not give the award to himself....so what should he say - thanks but no thanks??

....and the money is going to charity. So really what else can he do??

Reaction score
Grumpy Pumpkin said:
Super point FarmerChick, he did not give the award to himself....so what should he say - thanks but no thanks??

....and the money is going to charity. So really what else can he do??
Nothing. He did exactly as he should have done. The committee voted unanimously to give it to him out of 205 nominees. They did it for good reason. The reasons are a lot deeper than just his accomplishments. Much like Al Gores Nobel. He was given the prize for putting a serious problem on the front burner instead of on the back burner as many money hungry people want it to be. Those that gave the award are much wiser and more aware of the world situation than I am. Hopefully Mr Obama will remember that he is a Nobel Peace price recipient when he makes decisions and take the whole world in to consideration. I have faith that he will do just that.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey guys - i've been gone all day, are we still on this?

i aint got no hatin' for Obama for winning - i think the Nobel guy said it was about the hope he was generating...which may or may not be a way of saying "at least he's not Bush." so does he "deserve" it? who know.. i think its nice they are donating the loot to charity and that shows some character.

2dream
I don't know what I am a conservative liberal? LOL is there such a thing?
i think that makes you purple - kinda Blue and kinda Red
;-)

happy saturday everyone!
-OFG
:ep OMG - I'm Barney.

And lets all sing:
I love you,
You love me,
We're a happy family,
with a great big hug,
and a kiss from me to you,
Won't you say you love,
me TOO!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
196_imagesbb.jpg

:lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FC you are on a roll today. Must be raining at your house.

You are a hoot girl.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
2dream said:
I do have a problem with Obama winning the Nobel prize. And my only reason is..... It is suppose to be for accomplishments not anticipated accomplishments. And lets face it. At the time of the nomination he had not accomplished much of anything.
No I don't think he bought it. And what he does with the prize money is his decision. I don't care.

I don't blame him for winning I blame the committee for giving the prize to him. After all he did not nominate himself (at least I don't think he did) and he was not on the committee that decided to give it to him. Whats he suppose to do.
My sentiments exactly. I REALLY like Obama, but unless I missed some incredibly major news, I haven't seen anything Nobel-worthy yet. Maybe it should go to those of us who voted for him--like a Nobel for the nation! A little more than half the nation turned us onto this road leading towards peace.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Meet the People Who Were Passed Over for Obama

Sima Samar, womens rights activist in Afghanistan: With dogged persistence and at great personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics open in Afghanistan even during the most repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws prohibited the education of girls past the age of eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for Womens Affairs.

Ingrid Betancourt: French-Colombian ex-hostage held for six years.

Dr. Denis Mukwege: Doctor, founder and head of Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo. He has dedicated his life to helping Congolese women and girls who are victims of gang rape and brutal sexual violence.

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition: These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon.

Hu Jia, a human rights activist and an outspoken critic of the Chinese government, who was sentenced last year to a three-and-a-half-year prison term for inciting subversion of state power.

Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of Chinas communist system. He now lives in the United States.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thing about it is---Obama didn't make this choice.

He got it though.

Everyone needs to write to the Nobel Committee if they are disspleased.

I would think Obama didn't want this. It makes him a target in an unnecessary way. Has he done tons to deserve this award? I don't think so.....but again, the Nobel Committee made the decision. Take it up with them.

At this point it has to be over. Move forward again. Stupid things happen and will happen again....tis life.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Meet the People Who Were Passed Over for Obama
A list like this could be compiled for an argument against every winner every time. These are amazing accomplishments as are those of the others in the 400 person pool of nominees.

As FC suggests, take it up with the committee.
Or even better, nominate someone that you think worthy and campaign like the dickens for them next time.