Out with the Old, In with the New

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The mail keeps coming, whether your sick or not, at the office. Ive walked in there some mornings, and it looks like the place exploded with mail and packages. You have to case, organize, load, and deliver ALL of it in a certain amount of time. If one or more carriers are out, its up to the remaining ones to deliver the mail for THAT route. So ontop of having to do your own route, you have another to do. The mail just cant sit there.Some packages are time sensitive and MUST be delivered by such and such a time.
I understand not wanting mail delivered by someone whos sick, but you also dont understand the stress, work load, and time contraints we are under to get it delivered.
I never understood or knew just how physically and mentally demanding delivering the mail was until I started doing it myself. Its not as easy as it looks. Nor is it easy.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was asked a few years back to apply to fill opening for mail delivery, back up mainly. But didn't want the required report time hours....plus the wrong side of vehicle driving thing :lol: a friend's DDIL does this so, already knew just a touch of the stress from her reports. Nope, not for me.

My job has stresses but mostly very manageable when only me there in a store for the job, at my time selection. When teams needed, it's not fun due to who shows, their work ethic and experience, specific time/date meet ups.

I applaud your efforts. Harder job that just what opening a box and inserting mail sounds, on the surface. Most have no clue to what's necessary BEFORE you open that little mailbox flap.

Sometimes I leave a prepackaged snack in my box, with flag up, and a "thank you" note. Just hope the delivery person isn't allergic, diabetic, etc....only hungry. 😁

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was asked a few years back to apply to fill opening for mail delivery, back up mainly. But didn't want the required report time hours....plus the wrong side of vehicle driving thing :lol: a friend's DDIL does this so, already knew just a touch of the stress from her reports. Nope, not for me.

My job has stresses but mostly very manageable when only me there in a store for the job, at my time selection. When teams needed, it's not fun due to who shows, their work ethic and experience, specific time/date meet ups.

I applaud your efforts. Harder job that just what opening a box and inserting mail sounds, on the surface. Most have no clue to what's necessary BEFORE you open that little mailbox flap.

Sometimes I leave a prepackaged snack in my box, with flag up, and a "thank you" note. Just hope the delivery person isn't allergic, diabetic, etc....only hungry. 😁
I have gotten an occassional snack in the box. But not very often. 🙁

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m so sorry you got Covid. It will really take the wind out of your sails. At least now the virus has mutated enough to weaken itself, from the killing machine it was. So that is the good news. LOL a little dark humor there. You will have immunity now and that will help in the future. I’ve had it 3 times. Last time it just felt like a head cold. I tested myself because I was going to my sister’s house and wanted to make sure. It was gone in a couple of days but ruined my Thanksgiving plans.

Get all the rest you can. When you cook, fix enough for several days. Get enough sleep, your work is a grueling process. At least you didn’t get hit during the Christmas season. Count your Blessings, right? :ya

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have an announcement........a few months ago two carriers quit so thier routes were vacant. The 1st of September the routes were put up for bid on the liteblue website.
I thought the two senior RCAs would get the routes and I'd be the next PTF.
Turns out one RCA couldn't get into liteblue to place her bid, but was told she could do a paper ballot.
Whoever told her that was wrong because according to our contract, paper ballots are no longer accepted.
It took a few weeks to get the results.
I bid for the heck of it just for practice, thinking I'd not get anything, and be the next PTF.
Not so. I got one of the routes. I was as shocked as anyone. The girl who should of gotten it didn't, because as I said earlier they no longer accept paper bids. Whoever told her that at HR was wrong.
She filed a grievance, but they emailed the O.I.C. and told her it would not go any higher, that basically it was dead in the water. But here is the clincher. Management told her to get a lawyer and sue.
Can you believe that?
If the USPS says its not disputable how is a lawyer going to get them to change thier mind?
The route was already awarded to me. They cant take it back.
I officially took over the route Sat, Oct 7th.
I wont have to split routes anymore and be out after dark.
No more Amazon Sundays, ( or Mondays if its a holiday).
No more parcel play. Thats where starting about mid- Nov to mid- Jan you had to be at the office at 6am to run just packages until 9am, then come back and case your route, run it and then probably have to split a route and be out til dark.
No more if that for me.
Paid holidays. Insurance. Paid leave and paid sick leave.
I never thought when I started this job, I'd be where I am now. You all know my journey, and I still find it unbelievable.

Latest posts