Out with the Old, In with the New

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Before I moved, I was friends (kinda) with the carrier. Some days her route was good. Others, esp as it gets closer to the Holidays, were very very long! Last time I talked to her, she only had 7 more years until she could retire from the USPS. I wonder if a study has been done to see how time of year and time on the route have changed and if the compensation is still appropriate.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Im sure its changed some. Other carriers have said when they started, they didnt have the presorted DPS mail. They had to case ALL that mail by hand. Some days Ive had six full 2 ft trays full if DPS. Some days I barely have one tray.
And, yes, as it gets closer to the holidays, its going to get heavier. Ive been told to expect to be out after dark. 😬

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Rabbits take ten minutes to feed in the morning. Chickens take five. I have water bottles I rotate when the water freezes by bringing them in the house to thaw in a tote. Thought about buying heated bowls for them but figured it was too much trouble trying to hook up a power cord. Plus, I figured they'd try to eat the cord. Zapped bunny isnt a good thing for the bunny. But on the other hand, fried bunny when I come home from work sounds tasty. Hmmmmmm..........

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Havent posted in a while. Been busy at work. During the "peak" season, we had to be at work at 6am just to run parcels from 6 to 9 am, then come back, case whatever route we were running that day, run that, come back, and having to run part of another route due to someone calling out.
This started the last two weeks of November until about the second week of January. So glad thats over.
Things have been pretty normal.
Then it happened. I finally, and much to my shock, I got covid.
I was doing Amazon Sunday, and had been coughing and my head felt stuffy. Thought it was just sinuses or even maybe bronchitis because when the weather goes back and forth from warm to cooler or cold, then back to warm, I get something.
Sunday night I threw up, so thought its the flu. My head felt like it was in a vice grip, and I know this sounds weird but in my minds eye, I saw this red line going down the center of my head to the back of my neck. Even my eyeballs hurt.
Finally, about 4:30 am, I called the number you call to call out on, then called my supervisor.
I stayed camped out in my easy chair all day. No tv on. Eyes closed. No noise. I wanted to die. 🤢
Next morning, head felt alot better. Was just a little tired but felt I could do it, so in I went.
Got my route cased, and was outside ready to load, but still just felt so lethargic. I sat on my bumper and leaned forward, resting my head in my hands for a minute. Another carrier came over and asked if I was ok. I said, no, I was sick. 🤒
I then moved over so I could rest my head on the side of my vehicle. Next thing I know, I hear people calling my name and saying, OMG! She's passed out. I apparently according to the other carrier who had been standing there, said my eyes rolled up and I fell backwards into my car. I dont even remember it. 🥺
My supervisor was there on the phone saying " we have a medical emergency" and was calling an ambulance. Yes, I went to the hospital. Didnt want to go, but they made me. My PM and Supervisor said I was not going to be allowed to work today. This was Tuesday.
They did a catscan, bloodwork, had to pee in a cup. 😳 I was there from 9:30 am til about 2pm.
When the Dr came in and told me I was positive, I just couldnt believe it. Turns out Im about the 5th person at work thats out with it. The postal nurse said I could prob go back to work this Sat. I have to call her Friday and then she emails my PM. Other than feeling like total crap Mon and the fun ambulance ride with two pretty darn cute EMTs 😁 those were the two worst days.
Today, tho, its been the two step trots to the bathroom. Still a little dizzy off and on and tired. When I go back, I have to wear a mask for about a week.😷