Out with the Old, In with the New

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Finished RCA Academy today. :ya Still need to get my qualification in my Jeep. I will tell my supervisor tomorrow I got my Jeep back tonight and he can email the instructor and get that set up. :idunno
I report tomorrow at 8 am for my three days of training. With the weather being bad this weekend my supervisor said Id probably only be there a couple hours. Hopefully they wont require me to be there Sunday. 😁 We are suppose to get anywhere from 1-3, or 4-8, depending on where the line goes. Yay. :th

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did my first day at the P.O. met the guy I guess I'll be subbing for and he showed me how he does his pull downs( loading into trays) and then loading into his vehicle.
I then followed him on the route for a few stops then used the 4003( it shows you where to turn...like R on Jonathan St) then you deliver there and go onto the next.
Got lost a few times because the list would have a different name like Old Cut Road when it was also known as Blackpatch.
Couple turns seemed to me were wrong. One said turn right onto a certain road but it was on the left. :hu
The people there were really nice and gave me some pointers. One guy said the first month will be the worst month I will ever have. :eek:
But they said it will all just click and it will get easier. Taking deep breathe.:th

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are going to do just fine. climbing out of the rut you were so unhappy in, was a HUGE MAJOR leap! This was made for you and you will be awesome at it.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The regular mailman (person) wants you to do good and will help you because that gives them the ability to take some time off if they need it... you doing good is a plus to them too. It will take some time to get all the little kinks worked out and find what works for you... and any help they give is a plus. And realize that they have worked this out for years... you might take what they do and switch it around after a time... but you will find that tried and true is a good way to get started.
I hope that it all goes well for you... and you can get into the routine that will make this seem so much better a move from the old life...

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ive already figured in my head how to mark packages so I know where they are in the Jeep. Im going to take out the backseat and get some plastic clear tubs and mark bin 1, bin 2...etc......then on the first piece of mail, along with the color coded marker, put which bin the package is in.
I know it will be rough at first, but one day it will all click. My goal is to make it past the 90 day probation.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You will figure it out and work a system that gets the job done. Be sure to let us know when you hit the 90 day mark so we can help you celebrate!
I will.
Today is Tues and am hoping they call me to come in. I still have to do my 24 hours of training there. I also need to go get my qualifying in my Jeep done, too. Ive been practicing backing up and some parallel parking.
On the way home yesterday, I practiced pulling up to mailboxes. I have to remember to put my flashers on, signal, and check my mirrors before and after pulling up or away.
They will be following me and doing an evaluation on my skills and safety measures.

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sooooo, today I got to deliver mail. Started out pretty good.....until I checked the presort mail and saw mail for a street I had just been on. :rantThe mail was backwards from the route sequence. John said he normally catches that.
So I go back. :thThis I did 5 times on the same street. :duc I was getting so frustrated. :barnie
John told me once is ok, but not more than that. :smack
Couple times I had to get out and walk back to the mailbox because I overshot the box. Or once, I put the wrong package in the wrong box. :he
Its not as easy as it looks. I work tomorrow, am off Thursday, then work Fri Sat, Amazon Sunday, Mon, Tues, I think Wed? I'll have to check tomorrow again and write it down.
I asked John on a scale of 1 to 10 how did I do? Hr said he gave me a Five, but tomorrow he expects a 6. :oops:
Im going to give it my best shot. :fl