Planning for Bird Flu/Swine Flu

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We all have something with a lingering cough and have had it for the past few weeks, but I don't think it's the flu, Iv had a the flu twice and it sure didn't feel this mild :/. We have about 1200 people in Victoria that have it at present I think.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Regardless, it never hurts to have several months worth of food, a well stock tea container and some vitamins d & c on hand.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'm not sure I didn't have it myself, back in May -- there were confirmed cases from right around here, including the next town over, and a number of people at the Early Years Center where I take the kids to play had very similar symptoms (accompanied in some cases by recent contact with people just back from Mexico), but did not go get tested. What the local confirmed cases had, which closely resembles what me and others have had, was very mild - felt crappy and totally exhausted for a week or ten days with some mild flu-ey symptoms, but that was about it.

If you ask me, there's much greater chance of something ELSE becoming a serious worldwide problem (next year or whenever), rather than any derivative of H1N1.

(Remember all the other things, even just in recent years, that people were sure were going to become big giant disasters - anthrax, bird flu, Ebola-type viruses, etc etc... yes, presumably at some point the dice will roll the wrong way and an actual giant big widespread disease disaster *will* occur, eventually, but why expect the media to be right each time they sound the alarm? :p)

JMHO,

Pat

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes but all those other things didn't spread around the globe like this one has. It may never become what they say it will, but al;l it takes is for it to mutate with another form of flu...which is quite possible. I am hoping for the best here...
The agenda they have though is a totally different story, they have everyone worried and they are going to come out with a vaccine for it...the vaccine idea is truly more scary than the flu...THAT is when we will see it get dangerous I think, and that is when ppl are gonna start really dying

Reaction score
If it mutates in to something really bad we'll see a lot of death. The vaccine will of course kill some people too. Hopefully it will save a lot more than it kills.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After a short Hiatus, Let the fear mongering resume!

Lets remember that the swine flu vaccine given in 1976 caused a lot of trouble for folks. It caused my mother to become paralyzed, which she did recover, but many did not. The whole flu was a big folly that year, and some paid with their lives or permanent physical impairment. do a search on it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
I saw this article on Reuters today, which caught my attention.

New flu resembles feared 1918 virus: study
Yeah but many of us here did not fall for the old sweeping it under the rug trick....that article was expected. I mean the general public can;t think beyond what is currently on their television screen and truly believe that the government is their safety net. I think many of us with the SS mindset just do not think that way.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After a short Hiatus, Let the fear mongering resume!
Yeah, we are going to see more articles like this as fall gets closer. I am starting to notice more things in the news. It is going to be an interesting winter to say the least. I don't believe a vaccine will be available for the general public, only select people. Here is the other article I noticed on Reuters today.

New flu "unstoppable", WHO says, calls for vaccine

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am seeing /hearing more and more on the news. We have had quite a few deaths recently in our area.
It is going to get worse.
Very interesting what the article said about people born before 1920 have some immunity!