Presidential Debate--who watched?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
EDITED TO ADD: Sorry for the sarcasm. Don't mean to be harsh. Actually, I find this discussion very interesting and well-said by all. I just meant to say that long-term care for chronic illnesses are one example of how emergency room coverage is FAR from a solution.

***Scotty no one said it was a solution ever......a poster said you can be turned away and get no care....we just commented that you can get care. You just took your discussion a little further..LOL

so no, I sure ain't suggesting that ER care is a solution to anything

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
And now, I respectfully ask that maybe we should consider locking this thread? I know we don't want locked threads, we enjoy bantering with eachother, but I see this going down the drain.
Aly, Rob and I have already discussed the fact that things here aren't going to be quite as controlled as over on BYC, we don't see a huge influx of children, jokesters, etc. so discussions will go on as long as they remain civil. If everyone really wants this thread locked I'll do it, but I'd rather not.

reinbeau, I think you are doing a wonderful job as our moderator, and you are entitled to your opinion.
Thank you. I try. Unfortunately I do have opinions! :)

I truly hope you all have a wonderful and blessed day!
And I hope the same for all, too.
I for one am glad we have a little more freedom to explore our debates here. I openly admit that I don't know a whole lot about alot of things, and I find discussions like this completely educational.

I think everyone has been civil, albeit heated and passionate at times, but that makes it great.At first I didn''t even start to read this post as it was american politics, but after seeing the volume it was generating, I caved and started reading.

Thank you for giving me the experience.

Usually if I have no opinion or a really strong one, I try to shut up. Doesn't always work. :)

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My bad... I misunderstood. Didn't mean to jump out at anyone, just had a knee-jerk reaction. Let's all get in a circle and dance around singing songs happily, and then we can get back to talking about healthcare, refreshed. :D I sure do love a good sing-along!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I find it disturbing that self-sufficiency keeps being described as incompatible with care for other human beings. Doesn't anybody think about how lucky they are to have the health, strength, knowledge, land, support, resources or whatever it takes for you to be self sufficient while realizing that many other people do not have all those things?

It reminds me of the biblical story of the Good Samaritan who took care of the man who had been beaten and left for dead. The Samaritan could have ignored him like all those before him. After all, the Samaritan was SS enough to have a job and wealth. And probably the beaten man had made some pretty bad choices. Why bother? Ok--I know this is so preachy, but I'm glad the story doesn't end there.

So, could we please have a discussion in which self sufficiency and care for others are allowed to dwell in the same sentence? I am thrilled to not need any government programs, none. But, I often think "There but for the grace of God go I."

I know one man who scorned gov't "handouts" his whole life. Then, he had a heart attack without health insurance and a very low income. Suddenly, his life depended on gov't "handouts," and swallowing his pride was so tremendously difficult. I'm glad he chose to get the help he needed and still work his butt off to pay back what he can, although slowly.

Ok--got that off my chest...

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Sorry, I try to stay out of political debates, but I just have some thing to add the the Canadian healthcare system.

In the states, if you do not have healthcare, and say you chop a finger off--hospitals will send you away if you can't afford to pay. Or if you have HMOs, you have to go to a certain hospital-to a certain dr., correct?
Actually, since you mentioned specifically chopping off a finger, I will say that reattaching fingers is elective surgery, and a hospital will not do that for you if you do not have insurance (and I believe some insurance companies will not cover it either). It is only law that a hospital stops you from bleeding to death if you lose a few fingers. If you want to have them reattached, you have to pay, thousands of dollars per finger. (and yes, if you're covered by an HMO they say where you go, and if your fingers are necessary or not) So America, watch your fingers, and start pondering which one's you value most! ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My bad... I misunderstood. Didn't mean to jump out at anyone, just had a knee-jerk reaction. Let's all get in a circle and dance around singing songs happily, and then we can get back to talking about healthcare, refreshed. I sure do love a good sing-along!

**********SG
you ain't bad...LOL...you threw out some great points to think of!!
but yea, lets do the happy dance! HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So America, watch your fingers, and start pondering which one's you value most!

******Annmarie you are funny..!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
annmarie said:
miss_thenorth said:
Sorry, I try to stay out of political debates, but I just have some thing to add the the Canadian healthcare system.

In the states, if you do not have healthcare, and say you chop a finger off--hospitals will send you away if you can't afford to pay. Or if you have HMOs, you have to go to a certain hospital-to a certain dr., correct?
Actually, since you mentioned specifically chopping off a finger, I will say that reattaching fingers is elective surgery, and a hospital will not do that for you if you do not have insurance (and I believe some insurance companies will not cover it either). It is only law that a hospital stops you from bleeding to death if you lose a few fingers. If you want to have them reattached, you have to pay, thousands of dollars per finger. (and yes, if you're covered by an HMO they say where you go, and if your fingers are necessary or not) So America, watch your fingers, and start pondering which one's you value most! ;)
Thank you--this is what I was getting at, and I was asking for clarification.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know? I really stink at building fires, thank god I have my hubby. Oh, I can build one it just takes so long to get it going. I almost freeze to death waiting. Yesterday I had to use lighter fluid. LOL
Anyone else?

********Hey Roos
while we won't change the thread I am sure...lol...and really don't care too cause I think we are all being OK :) ........but I can sure tell you that I can't depend on hubby for a fire. I would be frozen...LOL----at the campsite he piled tons of heavy wood over the kindling and it wouldn't light....did after I stepped in and built it right--HA HA

For some reason Tony thinks bigger is better...hmm...man thinking??? HA HA...not sure. I love a toasty fire and with nights getting chillier now they sure will be welcomed! I had the heat set on 67 last night and it kicked on...yikes.

Lighter fluid? you be careful.....this is the mom in me saying you might blow up..HA HA