Punkins' world....SUNSHINE, seeds and no more drought!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Punkin....thanks for that recipe. I can't waite to give it a try. My hubby LOVES sweet pickles...but mine ALWAYS turn out soft. YUK! You are going to make me the "pickle goddess" in my house! ;)

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
I have cucumbers growing in my garden and I am so excited by the recipee, but being that I am very new to all this SS stuff, and have never canned or made cucumbers, can I ask a really silly question??

here it is . .after you slice the cucumbers and pour the water over them you let them stand for a week . . on the counter or in the fridge? Your picture looks like they do not have lids on them . .do you leave them uncovered on the counter for a week?

My bonus silly question :lol: is on the following days, you are bringing liquid to a boil and pouring it on the cukes, you rinse with cold or warm water first and then do you leave them uncovered on the counter again until after day 14?

Thank you for sharing this. I can't wait to try it.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
OkieAnnie said:
I have cucumbers growing in my garden and I am so excited by the recipee, but being that I am very new to all this SS stuff, and have never canned or made cucumbers, can I ask a really silly question??

here it is . .after you slice the cucumbers and pour the water over them you let them stand for a week . . on the counter or in the fridge? Your picture looks like they do not have lids on them . .do you leave them uncovered on the counter for a week?

My bonus silly question :lol: is on the following days, you are bringing liquid to a boil and pouring it on the cukes, you rinse with cold or warm water first and then do you leave them uncovered on the counter again until after day 14?

Not silly questions at all. You can leave them setting on your counter. I covered mine with a dishtowel.

After the first week, pour off the salt water. I rinse with cold. Make your alum mixture. After 24 days, pour it off and rinse.
When you are using the sugar mixture, pour it off the pickles each night into your pot you use for boiling it. Do not rinse the pickles for these four nights. After the mixture has boiled, pour it back over (while it's hot) the pickles and let them set till the next night. On the last night, make sure the mixture is still boiling when you take it off the stove to pour over the pickles. They should be in whatever size jar you are going to leave them in. They should seal just fine. Again, I just leave them on the counter covered with a towel.

Just let me know if you have any more questions. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
punkin said:
OkieAnnie said:

Not silly questions at all. You can leave them setting on your counter. I covered mine with a dishtowel.

After the first week, pour off the salt water. I rinse with cold. Make your alum mixture. After 24 days, pour it off and rinse.
When you are using the sugar mixture, pour it off the pickles each night into your pot you use for boiling it. Do not rinse the pickles for these four nights. After the mixture has boiled, pour it back over (while it's hot) the pickles and let them set till the next night. On the last night, make sure the mixture is still boiling when you take it off the stove to pour over the pickles. They should be in whatever size jar you are going to leave them in. They should seal just fine. Again, I just leave them on the counter covered with a towel.

Just let me know if you have any more questions. :)
24 HOURS! :lol: NOT days.......LOL

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Oops. :rolleyes: Thanks a bunch. I was trying to get that typed before heading off to church. :D

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to rinse my pickles . . . I also need to get that cucumber relish made.

DS had another 4-wheeler race Saturday. He went early to practice and sign up. He races in the Amatuer Class. When we got there, we found out he had signed up for Pro Class. I was really upset with him. That class is really aggressive and fast! The Pro class had only 3 riders signed up, so they talked DS and 2 others into moving up. (Once you move up, you can't go back down)

Each class runs 2 motos. In the first moto, he came in 2nd! He rode great!! The second moto he won!! Overall, he took first place. :ya Pro Class pays, so he won $100. This was really exciting since just the week before we had to replace the computer box on his bike. The bike ran fast and smooth. His next race is Friday night.

It looks like we are in for a dry spell. I'm watering the garden right now. Our corn is terrible. It's too far away to water. We may have 1/2 dozen ears per row. :hit The weather has cooled to the upper 80s with low humidity. It was actually pleasant this morning at 66.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Punkin if it makes you feel any better...

I went out to check my corn yesterday, which had been doing well, to find several stalks were broken to the ground. I think a coon or possum is already at it! :rant

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Congratulations to your ds, punkin!

punkin wrote: The weather has cooled to the upper 80s with low humidity. It was actually pleasant this morning at 66.
We won't even make it to 66, but I'm glad to hear your weather is finally cooling a bit.

We didn't plant corn this year. But in the past, we grew a small area of corn. We fenced in the corn to keep the deer and other critters out of it. Would hot wire work with corn?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
FF, Naw, it doesn't make me feel better. It just makes me feel for you, too. So much hard work goes into planting and then we are at the mercy of nature. We'll just have to look ahead to next year.

Kel, I don't know if hot wire would work or not. We don't have alot of deer since they cleared off alot of acerage for the new highway a few years back. We see coons about once a year, so no big problem with them either.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Yes a hot wire WILL work. Unfortunately one charger is keeping big dumb dog in his yard now that we have a new neighbor dog that he hates and my solar charger is keeping my pullets and turkeys safe.

I have some rat traps that I will be putting around to "scare" things and a box trap that will be fired up very soon, but we are going out of town on Friday and I can't leave a box trap unattended.

Latest posts